• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Blowing Smoke

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
After sitting at a light and taking off I noticed smoke in the rear view(a rather large puff,not a trail) and a bit of engine sputter, not really sure what color it was, but this is the first time it's done it. After the engine cools down what is the procedure to follow to find the problem... I'm thinking head gasket, damn it !! what's with the problems with these things ? Anyway when I remove the plugs what does a steam cleaned plug look like ? I've got no water in the oil, haven't checked the radiator yet(too hot) ...Kinda puts the ol' kabosh on the Rome show this weekend. WTH ?

SeriesV

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insights.

Tom j

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Tom
What color smoke? White would be brake servo leaking into intake manifold, black- carbs, blue-well you know what blue means............Hoping for the best! Eric

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Also black smoke is unburnt fuel, results from running rich. Was the choke pulled out? White smoke that disappears is water.

Bill

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Maybe some further information will spur a few more replies, after cooling down a bit I checked the plugs, 2,3,4, were dry and looked the same, 1 on the other hand was "wet" not a lot but some, it did not look like the others, I tried to identify the dampness by smell but could not, it did feel a bit oily. Then fired the car up and took it around the block, very intermittent smoke usually after stopped at say a light, I'm assuming it's water because it disappears, and only appears as a puff when I take off from a idle, but not in the garage, checked the oil, it's ok checked the water, bit low but no oil in it. No brake servo on the car at this time.
If it were the rings wouldn't it smoke all the time ? And leave a smoke trail?
If it's the head gasket would it get worse as the engine heated up ? I see no signs of any abnormal leaking(just the usual) I was planning on a long drive on Saturday to the Berry College car show, but that now seems risky. What other signs indicate blown head gasket ?
Thank you for your helpful replies, Tom j

britbeam

Donation Time
After sitting at a light and taking off I noticed smoke in the rear view(a rather large puff,not a trail) and a bit of engine sputter, not really sure what color it was, but this is the first time it's done it. After the engine cools down what is the procedure to follow to find the problem... I'm thinking head gasket, damn it !! what's with the problems with these things ? Anyway when I remove the plugs what does a steam cleaned plug look like ? I've got no water in the oil, haven't checked the radiator yet(too hot) ...Kinda puts the ol' kabosh on the Rome show this weekend. WTH ?

SeriesV

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insights.

Tom j

Hey Tom,
Drive the Tin Can Alpine. She ran good the other day. Diamond in the rough kinda deal.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey Tom,
Drive the Tin Can Alpine. She ran good the other day. Diamond in the rough kinda deal.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Unfortunately, Susan's not too fond of riding in that car.....no big deal ....except we passed up a trip to Florida (ie: the beach) so we could go to this show...:(

See you guys there one way or another.........

Tom j

skywords

Donation Time
Compression check. If low cylinder try some marvels mystery oil in the oil, if that doesnt do it you may have a broken ring or a bad valve guide. Make sure your breather is not plugged or you haven't over filled the oil. What grade are you running? I run Shell Rotella T 40W or Aeroshell 100W depending on what I have on hand. Note the 100W is 50W in automotive ( O God I almost said weight.) Does it smoke on deceleration? If so Valve guides are most likely to blame.

gordonra

Donation Time
Look for a little (of a lot) of grey/brown matter and moisture collecting around the oil filler cap.

I just delt with that one myself..... It wasn't the gasket.... it was a bad head.

Rich

serIIalpine

Donation Time
You can blow your head gasket and be sucking coolant into your combustion chamber and burning it off as steam without accumulating gunk in your coolant or coolant in your oil.

I just did the same thing so I know.

Good luck.

Eric

'62 SerII

Nickodell

Donation Time
O God I almost said weight.

You wouldn't dare.:mad:

Tom: Have a garage perform a leak-down test to see if you have a coolant leak. If so, it's a lead-pipe cinch that it's a blown head gasket, between a coolant passage and the cylinder with the wet plug.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Any more news on this?

I have blown gaskets between the water jacket and the cylinders.. can go for a while losing a little water ata time before it really lets go. Also as eric said, can me the servo if fitted dragging brake fluid.. nice way of de-coking the valves.. but not what you want either.

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Much to my dismay.... looks like the signs are pointing to the head gasket...:(
Servo is not installed, smoke dissipates before I can really tell what color it is (but it's lighter in color maybe grayish/white) not trailing smoke just a puff when leaving the line...I'll do a cylinder comp test today.. I'm using Rotella 30, The head was just rebuilt about 2000 miles ago, and valves were adjusted in the last few hundred miles...

Has anyone found an exhaust pipe gasket at a local parts place...
Allen has volunteered to help out, THANKS. just need to come up with the parts, located a head gasket, need to get some copper (what?) sealant in tube?spray?

Am I on the right track ?? :confused:

Thanks for the thoughts and direction.. Tom j

sd_pace

Donation Time
it may be a head gasket seperation... i had a ring brake once and it made noise before it melted.... check the valve spring also ...one may have cracked or colapsed ..... call me tom if you need anything

steve

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Steve, Whatcha' doin' Friday afternoon ? :D
I'm going to check for an exhaust pipe gasket in my spares..
What I'm looking for is a wrench with a hand attached !!:eek:
Tom j

sd_pace

Donation Time
guess i am helpin you after work... we can get ya running again..
do i need to make a gasket plate for the exhaust tonite?
i think i have enought metel for one more... and i can pick up a can of copper... will call tonite
steve

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
I may have a head or exhaust gasket (I can't remember which one) I bought for a SV but never used. If you're looking for one or the other let me know and I'll search through the spare parts section of the basement. If I have what you need I'll run it out to Trickum.