• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bleeding the brake/clutch system

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Robin. A very interesting site. I had always heard if you don't use LMA or silicone fluid your seals will not last. Unless I'm missing something, he does not mention LMA seal compatibility at all!

On a slightly different issue, I don't see moisture absorption as a real life issue. Our cars regularly go 100,000 or more miles (about 5-6 years) with no brake maintenance, yet don't have any real brake systems problems out to 200,000 or so miles. Also, I have to wonder, how can brake fluid setting in an opened, but seal can absorb that much moisture?

Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Thanks Robin. A very interesting site. I had always heard if you don't use LMA or silicone fluid your seals will not last. Unless I'm missing something, he does not mention LMA seal compatibility at all!

On a slightly different issue, I don't see moisture absorption as a real life issue. Our cars regularly go 100,000 or more miles (about 5-6 years) with no brake maintenance, yet don't have any real brake systems problems out to 200,000 or so miles. Also, I have to wonder, how can brake fluid setting in an opened, but seal can absorb that much moisture?

Bill

Hi Bill,

No worries, I'm glad you got something out of the article. From what I have read, the Dot 3 & 4 brake fluids seem to be harder on the bores of the master cylinder while the silicone based fluids are not (swell up the seal though). Good question regarding the amount of moisture that can be absorbed. That would depend upon the humidity in your location.

Regards, Robin.