• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Blanking grommets in battery box?

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi all,
The battery box in my Series 3 has five (!) 1" holes, of which I need one for the positive 12v cable.

There are two in the base of the box, two on the front face near the top, and one on the side facing the prop shaft where the main power feed cable passes through. That last one has a standard grommet to prevent the cable from chafing.

Can (or should) I put blanking grommets in the unused ones? There is space around the power cable for venting any fumes and a 1/4" hole in the base to drain any moisture. What was in all the extra 1" holes originally? Are they original? inquiring minds etc...

Cheers,
Paul.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Never seen anything that said, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were for the Hillman since that's where the basic floor pan came from. I've put grommets in, most of us have them garaged when not in use and aren't every type of weather users anymore and I haven't had a problem as long as there is some bit of venting of the box, just in case.

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Mike, it was 50% curious as to why they'd put so many large holes for road spray to enter, 50% is this original, and 10% is it ok to block them off. (it seems expected that everyone gives 110% nowadays, right? :) )

Cheers,
Paul.

bobcat@4250

Donation Time
Hi all,
The battery box in my Series 3 has five (!) 1" holes, of which I need one for the positive 12v cable.

There are two in the base of the box, two on the front face near the top, and one on the side facing the prop shaft where the main power feed cable passes through. That last one has a standard grommet to prevent the cable from chafing.

Can (or should) I put blanking grommets in the unused ones? There is space around the power cable for venting any fumes and a 1/4" hole in the base to drain any moisture. What was in all the extra 1" holes originally? Are they original? inquiring minds etc...

Cheers,
Paul.
Those extra holes are for venting the hydrogen gas from the battery. Don’t plug them !!!

mikephillips

Donation Time
Maybe leave one of the upper ones open for that. Since hydrogen is lighter and rises the lower holes won't matter for that. Those may have been Hillman related or to allow drainage. I've personally never had an issue with them being covered or plugged over the years.