• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Black race car - engine freshing

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Ok, we finially have gotten around to pulling the engine in the black race car that we found last summer (the black Series I posted in the gallery)

Recalling that when we found it all we did was change the oil - the old oil was horrible since the car was caught in a minor flood at one point - but we started it and it ran great.

So, this evening I took it apart. It is fairly interesting since the engine is typical "produciton car specifications" for the mid-60's.

Here's some notes:

1) Aluminum retainers on valves

2) Lightened rockers

3) Pop up pistons - I am sure these are cast pistons

4) Modified Oil pan for greater quantity

5) 9 spring pressure plate

6) Cleaned up ports and combustion chambers are polished.
(note, these chambers have not been altered - I don't think you could alter them until later in the decade or into the 70's)

I am sure I will find more interesting stuff as I pull the timing cover.

Steve

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Man, this is one dirty engine. After 2 bottles of Superclean and a can of Engine bright it is finially looking better.

The insides of the engine are interesting. Typical period modifications for a Alpine race car. Aluminum retainers, pop-up pistons (though, these weren't allowed until mid 60's.

P3.jpg

P2.jpg

P1.jpg

P4.jpg

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve-those pistons looked familiar. I checked and Fred had given me 4 new ones just like it with the yellow car I have. Have not taken the blown engine apart to see what pistons are inside of it yet. Eric

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Jahns pistons

Those are Jahn's pistons, 12.5:1 compression. I have a set in my engine from 1970.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Hmm, and the valves dont hit the pop up on overlap?

Someone needs to make a dimensioned drawing for that piston, so I can have a set machined by J&E:)

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Jarrid,

I didn't hear any valve contact when it was running! :D

Seriously, I will take dimensions of the pop-up.
I will also note the thickness of the head. I don't know anything about the cam - maybe something is marked on the cam to help identify it.

It ran really well when we first started it. I'll be curious to see how it runs when we get it back together.

Steve

65beam

Donation Time
pistons

paeco in alabama installed these same pistons in my 1592 when they built my motor in 1970.i removed them along with most of the items they installed when i rebuilt the motor about 10 years ago so i guess they did not cause any problems in my motor.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Forum,

Sorry for being a bit inexperienced with engine parts, but what is the idea behind the 'pop-up' pistons :confused: . Does it give better compression and what advantage (if any) do they give?

Thanks, Robin.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
They "pop" metal out off the pistons, and into the combustion chambers, which displaces some of the combustion chamber volume.

Less chamber volume means higher static compression.

This is all good and fine, and in general increasing compression increases both power and efficiency of the engine, but go beyond 10/1, and you will need race fuel to run the engine.

Use of those pistons is definitely for a raceday setup.