• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Big "S" Valve Cover

alpineracer

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a S valve cover that I am looking to sell. I have one on my car and I don't see how I would ever need a replacement. Please help me with what the group thinks is a "Fair" price for this. Its in Good Factory Finish Condition, but not polished. Thanks! -Eric

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
A suggestion - take pictures with the cover on its side and also upside down so folks can see the condition of the gasket face - will it sit flat on the head and are there any corrosion or pitting issues in that gasket area.

Mike

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
A suggestion - take pictures with the cover on its side and also upside down so folks can see the condition of the gasket face - will it sit flat on the head and are there any corrosion or pitting issues in that gasket area.

Mike

These covers are pretty indestructible. The thick cork gaskets take up any small imperfections in the surface. I've never seen one warped as the small studs to secure don't apply very much pressure.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I tried a cork gasket on my Series V, but it was too thick. I couldn't attach the nuts. My cover did not sit flat on the head, so I had to deal with that.

Mike

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I suppose if your head was ever warped and you had the head shaved, this could be a problem. I have just never experienced.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Setting the cover on my kitchen counter showed it was uneven. The same unevenness was apparent when sitting on the head.

Mike

65beam

Donation Time
cover

The cork gasket was originally used on alpines starting in 68 when the fast back production started. The cars had stamped steel valve covers and the cork gasket set in the flange of the cover. That's the reason it's much thicker. One thing that helps is to soak the cork in water. It softens and is easily compressed to use the hold down studs. the stamped cover used a 3/4 " long bolt instead of the studs. I've seen some of the cast covers with damage from folks digging off sealer and gasket remains but the purpose of the gasket is to seal and fill flaws and to stop leaks.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
An old British mechanic taught me to use contact cement to glue the cork gasket to the cover and nothing on the bottom. You can remove the cover several times on one gasket. Just don't overtighten it, barely past finger tight.

Workd good on my car.

Al

alpine_64

Donation Time
I've found the paper gaskets leak less than the cork... I also suspect people overtighten the cork gaskets allowing it to leak. As for the rocker cover,you could get a large piece of glass and some wet and dry and sand it level