• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

best options for overdrive?

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I would never buy a used OD (with tranny) without seeing for myself how it performs or buying it fully expecting to ship it back to the UK for a rebuild (aka John Roseby). I've seen too many issues with used OD's (that turned out to be paper weights) to go through the time of installing it only to find out it needs to come out again.

To take full advantage of the OD, I'd swap the 4.22 pumpkin for a 3.89 and have Nisonger Instruments convert the speedo accordingly. The OD w/ 3.89 is fantastic on the highways.

I bought mine from this same source, but that's only because at the time, I didn't know any better, and it may have been the only source at the time. There is more than one guy on the planet that can rebuild these. I know there are two here in the states, (one very well known Sunbeam guy) you can get a complete rebuild done. It's very expensive to ship these overseas.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Heard of a guy here in Columbia that can rebuild a Sunbeam overdrive in his sleep. Just one guy and not getting any younger.

RootesRich

Donation Time
Any contact info of those in the US that can build OD's?
Just saying one knows or has heard of someone being able to do this doesn't help the US Sunbeam community much.

pruyter

Donation Time
I've recently gotten a quote for the 3.7 from an e-mail to this web site, but they don't have a phone number or address. Just an e-mail address of "sunbeamparts@hotmail.com."

Anyone have a phone number?

Yes I have both the address and a phone number.
The address is: Rootes Parts Service
Hoefbladhof 27
3991 GE Houten
The Netherlands

Fax number: +31 30 2721057
Telephone number: +31 6 28331587

Best regards,

Peter

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes I have both the address and a phone number.
The address is: Rootes Parts Service
Hoefbladhof 27
3991 GE Houten
The Netherlands

Fax number: +31 30 2721057
Telephone number: +31 6 28331587

Best regards,

Peter

Thank you SIR!

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Just saying one knows or has heard of someone being able to do this doesn't help the US Sunbeam community much.

I heard of the guy in Columbia who can rebuild the Sunbeam overdrive in his sleep from 63Sunbeam who frequents this board more often than not.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor

Just throwing out a comment like that doesn't really help the "Sunbeam Community" either, just makes me irritated. Don't understand what you mean. Now I have to think what kind of impact I'm having on the "Community"? What is this? A cult?
Tom Ehrhardt was rebuilding, but he is semi-retired and may or may not still be doing it.
John Esposito at Quantum Mechanics came highly recommended. Google it.

Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Who else used Laycock OD's? For example, didn't Volvo use them? Perhaps we can find some rebuilders via other Marques.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Who else used Laycock OD's? For example, didn't Volvo use them? Perhaps we can find some rebuilders via other Marques.

There were several versionfs of the OD units.. most comon in the 60's were the D type then J after. They are the same units on all the cars but the adaptor plates and the imput shafts change per applicton. Triumph, volvom rootes all used the LDNV O/d's.. not sure if BMC and Jag used the same ones...

the other thing to consider is the different ratios used depending on application. However the rebuild of the basic unit should be the same for all cars. Normally its the clutch surfaces and cones that wear badly causing slip. The solenoids also fail.. but are available without to much trouble.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Im guessing he is alluding to the diff from rootes post vintage making a loud whinning noise? i had heard various reports about these parts. Some good some not.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Im guessing he is alluding to the diff from rootes post vintage making a loud whinning noise? i had heard various reports about these parts. Some good some not.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes, thinking about springing for the 3.7 from Holland while it's still around along with the only rear end guy in town. Thanks to whoever posted their phone number and address. It's on their website but different format from USA. Now I have to figure out what's the best time to call Holland. Not sure how to ask if their rear end metal is any good. Hum...wonder if they speak English? (I bet they speak better English than I do whatever language they normally speak).