• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

best options for overdrive?

mightyohm

Donation Time
Hello all,

I have a 1962 Series II Alpine without overdrive. RPMs on the freeway are very high - I haven't driven the car in a while, but I remember pushing 4000 RPM at 65 mph. The car was originally came with OD, but the previous owner replaced the stock transmission with a series V unit without overdrive.

What are my best options for getting an overdrive unit? Or am I better off changing the rear end ratio and keeping it a 4-speed?

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
The best option is an OD trans from a Sunbeam. Whether you want an early (non synchro 1st) or later trans is up to you. I've owned non-OD early series, OD early series and synchro OD from late series. OD cars are a different breed from non-OD. The synchro 1st is not a big deal to me.

Get what's available, you'll like it.

As to the rear end, 4.22 vs. 3.89 isn't much compared to the approx 20% provided by OD.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hello all,

I have a 1962 Series II Alpine without overdrive. RPMs on the freeway are very high - I haven't driven the car in a while, but I remember pushing 4000 RPM at 65 mph. The car was originally came with OD, but the previous owner replaced the stock transmission with a series V unit without overdrive.

What are my best options for getting an overdrive unit? Or am I better off changing the rear end ratio and keeping it a 4-speed?

If you are unable to source a Sunbeam overdrive unit you may want to consider installing a Toyota 5 speed transmission - 5th gear is an overdrive. I installed one in my '67 many years ago and it made 70-75mph travel much easier.
Several options - buy a conversion bell housing from Conversion Components or Dellows. Both have websites easily found with Google search. Or - fabricate your own bell housing. In any case you will also have to modify your driveshaft.

Well worth the effort. My 20 cents worth.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I can only share my personal experience but I happen to love my setup.
My Series 3 has the stock close ratio Series 3 gearbox, 13" wheels, overdrive, and I swapped the stock 3.89 rear end ratio for a 3.70. You sacrifice a little in the traffic light drag races but on long open American highways I can maintain 80mph for hours without stressing the engine.

RootesRich

Donation Time
I offer the following regarding the OD question having been around OD's since 1974. :)

Make sure you buy the OD and tranny together. An OD will NOT bolt to a non OD tranny.

If you're serious about a factory OD, I would contact Jeff Howarth and get one of his turnkey kits from him. Not only are they rebuilt by the recognized expert in OD's, Jeff supplies all the components to make installation a snap and headaches to a minimum.

I would never buy a used OD (with tranny) without seeing for myself how it performs or buying it fully expecting to ship it back to the UK for a rebuild (aka John Roseby). I've seen too many issues with used OD's (that turned out to be paper weights) to go through the time of installing it only to find out it needs to come out again.

To take full advantage of the OD, I'd swap the 4.22 pumpkin for a 3.89 and have Nisonger Instruments convert the speedo accordingly. The OD w/ 3.89 is fantastic on the highways.

That being said, I think there's merit in the Toyota 5 speed conversion. In fact when my future plans of a 2.0L Rootes engine materialize, I will go with the 5 speed route. I've seen Paul's conversion in person and I'm very impressed. Comparing cost with the OD, I think it's almost even $$ now.

On a related subject, anyone know if John Roseby is attending SUNI VI? There was a recent rumor he was going to attend and if so I hope to meet him.

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
I offer the following regarding the OD question having been around OD's since 1974. :)

Make sure you buy the OD and tranny together. An OD will NOT bolt to a non OD tranny.

If you're serious about a factory OD, I would contact Jeff Howarth and get one of his turnkey kits from him. Not only are they rebuilt by the recognized expert in OD's, Jeff supplies all the components to make installation a snap and headaches to a minimum.

I would never buy a used OD (with tranny) without seeing for myself how it performs or buying it fully expecting to ship it back to the UK for a rebuild (aka John Roseby). I've seen too many issues with used OD's (that turned out to be paper weights) to go through the time of installing it only to find out it needs to come out again.

Agree 100%. I ended up shipping both my gearbox and OD to John Roseby for rebuild. Just buy the complete setup from Jeff Howarth and save yourself the hassle.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
John Roseby

I saw John in England last month and he is not coming to SUNI.
He is planning on coming to the TE/AE United this September in Michigan instead. Eric

mightyohm

Donation Time
Thanks for the info, everyone! I didn't expect such a big response.

I'd like to keep the car as original as is practical, so I think the Toyota transmission is off the table. (But I did run into someone with one a few years back, and he loved it. I think it requires some modifications to the interior/dash, however??)

RootesRich - thanks for the info. I didn't realize that OD wasn't compatible with my existing series V transmission. I'll have to check the rear end ratio. I suspect that it is stock (4.22?) but I'm not completely sure.

Jeff's kit sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Just a note I put the Toyota T50 box in my Alpine about 8 years ago. No modes were made to the car ( no cutting) and it looks stock no one knows the difference.:cool:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
With 180/65 x 13 tires, OD and 3.70 axle it should be about 3600 RPM at 80 MPH.

I have similar tires, OD, and 3.89 axle and I cruise at 76 MPH with 3600 RPM.

Tom

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don't recall but it's July 4 and maybe I'll go out and take a run today on the highway for research purposes. :D

Just got back from a run and realized I didn't report back on this, so here goes.

With 165 / 80 R13 tires I experienced the following rpms tonight:

70mph = 3,000
80 mph= 3,400
90 mph = 3,700

Was going to see what 100 mph looked like but my 10 year old son started freaking out and asked if we could slow down. I don't know what his problem was - we had our seat belts on. Oh well. :D

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Just to tie the two together, last I knew, the ODs that Jeff sells are rebuilt by John Roseby. I got one from John 20+ years ago. It was $1,000 then. I was able to source a NOS factory driveshaft and a SV relay. I bought the SV switch from a UK car parts company - and it was for a non Alpine car. I can't remember anymore what it was for. But it was readily available and matches the turnsignal stalk, except for the angle. A little heat and a bend took care of it.

Last edited:

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thank you Bob from an earlier post about the soft metal from Holland. Whining too bad to talk about it Scott?