• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Below Bumper Rear License Plate Bracket

Rockonp04

Donation Time
I am interested in a license plate bracket that sits below the rear bumper. I plan to use the Victoria British license plate light, part #8-732-1 (see pic), and attach two of them to the underside of the bumper, similar to the one shown (see pic).

The only problem is, the underside license plate bracket is a unicorn. Sunbeam Specialties only makes the above bumper bracket for the license plate.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Bumper Attachment.jpg
    Bumper Attachment.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Alpine license lamp.jpg
    Alpine license lamp.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 57

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Late series license plate lights, could be easily inverted, possibly may need to bend existing bracket. Not sure. And could easily fabricate a holder to attach in the same spots. Also there's two bolts straight under that area on the frame. Little visit to Lowes or Home Depot for some aluminum stock. Cheap and easy.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Here's one pic. of the mounting Jim was referring too ... I think I have some that show a bracket sett-up that mounts with the stock lic. plate lights only flipped .... I'll see if I can't find 'em.

....... Davidsv rear.jpg

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Exactly what I was referring to. Easily made out of some aluminum stock though. hack saw, file, sandpaper, a vise would be nice, and a BFHammer.

Rockonp04

Donation Time
Was there even a stock bracket? I would like something with a stock look rather than some plastic trailer piece screwed to the body.

Rockonp04

Donation Time
I am leaning toward making my own bracket. I like the idea of bending back the trunk license plate bracket and attaching it to the bumper.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
For my taste, the plastic example is mounted too low. I would want the top of the plate just below the bottom of the bumper

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I would build one that uses the bumper bolts between body and bumper mounts, then you would not have to drill holes and it would not be seen.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Well, the bottom of the plate would attach to the rail of the "plastic" one. Puts the plate right up under the bumper.??
Not saying the one David posted is plastic, but I don't think the plate could be much higher than this.
Guess that's all I have to say on the subject. Good luck with whatever you devise.
And as far as stock goes, mostly I think they just screwed em on the boot lid.

Rockonp04

Donation Time
The California Association of Tiger Owners makes just the part. It's part # B38 and is called a "Under rear bumper license plate and light holder". Unfortunately, you gotta join the club to buy the part. Membership is only $35 and the part is only $27. Not bad considering one part does it all.

I bought it and I'll post a picture of it when I get it.

Also, they pointed me in the direction of local people who will help with my conversion. Gotta love Southern California.

65beam

Donation Time
This car has the CAT light / plate holder so you can see where the plate hangs. The lights need turned over and installed from the top. The light holder is larger than the original so the lights are hid behind the bumper and are barely visible. I painted another of these units yesterday evening and I'm going to replace the license holder on our series 5. The plate holder has107_1003.JPG been bolted to the rear valance since Tiger Auto restored the body in the 90's. Doug had it for several weeks in October and we found the holder was loose. I had bought a couple extra of the CAT units so it's the perfect solution for the series 5 and any other Alpine with the two lights.