• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Before a button up clutch question

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
The center of the pressure plate ( solid triangle) part , is that suppose to be tight and not wiggly ? Mine does wiggle and looks like it does by design, but I was reading a past post that mentioned ( can't find it now) they were getting their's repaired because of that. Of course I'd rather not put everything back together, only to find out wiggles are not normal.

Attachments

• 20230725_165741.jpg
    20230725_165741.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • 20230725_165851.jpg
    20230725_165851.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 24

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom, I was under the impression it was designed that way....in your PIC 16581 the slots and pins are fitted loosely not tight or welded in.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have one that I had rebuilt and it is not wiggly
I believe Rootes did the best allowing the Release bearing and the pressure plate surface to "find" itself for a smoother contact than a "fixed" bearing surface.

Could be wrong like I am lots of times

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Going to go ahead and put her back together as is and will see how that works, worse that could happen is I'd need to start over again, not fun but it does get easier the more you do it.
Tom j

Joe-dick

Donation Time
You've already gotten the correct answer to your question, but I thought in the interest of edification I'd add the 'why'.
Your pressure plate is a "Diaphragm" style in which the fingers you see radiating out from center are all part of a one piece dish (the diaphragm) whose outer rim supplies the pressure to sqeeze the clutch disc and engage the clutch to drive the car. When you press the clutch pedal the release (throwout) bearing pushes on the solid hub and flexes the fingers 'in' thus levering the outer rim 'out' to release the clutch disc. The solid hub needs to have some play in it to allow the fingers room to move.
Joe