• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Battery to Solenoid Cable

CRBASIN

Donation Time
I am installing Pete's Performance wiring harness. A very nice kit, by the way.

While I have the interior apart, I would like to replace the battery to solenoid cable as a preventive measure. Does anyone know the wire size--length and gauge? I have added only two circuits to the car, a fuel pump and a fan.

Thanks,

John

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
John,
What are you trying to "prevent" by replacing that cable? It's just made of copper and vinyl, has virtually no moving parts, and does not wear out. The fan and fuel pump will be a minimum added load. I doubt the fitting/ connection at the solenoid end is bad. If the cable clamp is bad, I think you'd be best off to replace that rather than try to make a whole new cable from scratch Maybe others will disagree with me.

Tom

mikephillips

Donation Time
I wouldn't worry about it unless the insulation is cracked. If you do find it is then I'd suggest taking it to an auto electrical shop and let them measure it and attach the ends, then you don't need to worry about know the specifics yourself.

CRBASIN

Donation Time
Thanks for your suggestions.

Tom: I am replacing the rest of the wiring because of a smokey fire when one of the wires leading to the ignition switch shorted against the dash support. I am partially responsible; the incident occurred when I was working on my oil pressure line.

Mike: I will examine the battery to starter cable for any signs of wear.

JonPiz

Donation Time
re cable

for the distance from the battery to the solenoid 10mm2 should be fine. Depends upon the current draw and the length of cable as to whether you will get any voltage drop but 10mm should easily be enough for 40amps

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
John,

Run a search for "starter circuit voltage drop test" on the web. Then check your cable and decide if it needs to be replaced. A lot of older cables that appear to be sound will have internal corrosion causing higher resistance.

HTH

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
John, visually inspect that cable well.

Mine looked ok and was working fine so I didn't look over the entire length of the cable. While working on something else under the car, a weird viewing angle revealed a hidden area on the cable that had been wearing through where the cable passed through a body opening. The seemingly good rubber grommet had a spot worn through that allowed the cable to rub against the body.

It was just a matter of time before that cable would have shorted out and stranded me somewhere.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I wouldn't worry about it unless the insulation is cracked. If you do find it is then I'd suggest taking it to an auto electrical shop and let them measure it and attach the ends, then you don't need to worry about know the specifics yourself.

I have had good success with a shop in town that sells high powered sound equipment for cars/trucks. They have various gauge of heavy duty cable, the appropriate ends (which they attach for me) and the price is about 1/2 of what it would cost me at an auto parts store.

It is another good source to consider.

Pete

CRBASIN

Donation Time
Thanks for all of your suggestions and comments. I looked carefully at the visible parts of the cable in question, especially where it passes through the battery box and firewall. I could find no damage, but I did replace the battery box grommet, which looked questionable. I will look under the car in the next few days and come to a decision. Right now, i am leaning toward replacement given the safety implications.

I did find that the cable at the battery connector was not installed correctly--only about 1/3 of the cable strands were captured by the connector.

John

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
John,
measure the length you need and go to a welding supply shop
I used #2 cable if memory serves me right Its a little bigger than stock
Take a sample of your old cable

Bruce

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The battery cable is just bare copper, stranded cable (not plated) and is vulnerable to corrosion (after 50 years of weathering). More importantly, is replacement of the ground strap. I have seen so many ground straps on their last leg. Frayed and so on.
Jan

oLD lIMEY

Donation Time
I just made a ground cable brom battery box to Trans mount. I used welder wire, a lot cheaper than made up cables and you can make it the exact lent you want. I'm in Canada and used Princess auto. Maybe in the States Harbour freight?

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I just made a ground cable brom battery box to Trans mount. I used welder wire, a lot cheaper than made up cables and you can make it the exact lent you want. I'm in Canada and used Princess auto. Maybe in the States Harbour freight?

Right on.
Princess Auto is the place to,shop