• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Battery box....Tool box.

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
Had to make a new battery box ( rust. ) and since my car will have dual exhaust I decided to make the battery box to fit a little smaller battery and make a bit more room for exhaust pipes. After making one box I figure (now I know what Im doing )I could make a twin for the driver side. I like to carry a few tools while I travel but hate to clutter up the trunk.
Anyone done this?

George Farrell

Donation Time
Great idea! When I modified the box for the exhaust pipe on my v-6. I made a "secret compartment" to store a spare key and whatever. Now if I could only find my spare key.

George

socorob

Donation Time
I almost did that when I modified my battery box. Something like the Datsun z car did. Then I rode in a fiat 500 and it had a glovebox/ drawer thing under the passenger seat. That seems like a good idea too

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
Hey George.
If your car comes up missing are we all susoects since we know where your spare key is hidden? I stashed an emergency house key outside a few years ago but I now have no memory of where it is :confused:.
I belive I have decided to make the cut for the tool box. Thanks.
....Chuck....

pcmenten

Donation Time
Chuck, Neat idea. The early MGB's had dual 6 volt batteries in dual battery boxes just like you're suggesting.

It might be handy to shape a battery box so that two ammo cans just fit inside. Or one standard Craftsman tool box. You get the idea, shape it to fit some sort of tool box inside.

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
pcmenten, I agree on the pre-made tool box idea.On a couple of my sand toys I used small ammo boxes for tools and emergency repair parts. Before making a battery box I looked at ammo. boxes but didnt come up with right size.
I think MGs were where I got this idea.( how do I get the lightbulb icon in here ?)

Nickodell

Donation Time
Chuck, Neat idea. The early MGB's had dual 6 volt batteries in dual battery boxes just like you're suggesting.

My Allard 71K had them too. It always gave me a slight feeling of apprehension that in an accident we could be sitting on several hundred amps, and in a overturn would have two 25 lb batteries fallling on us spouting acid.

It also had a strange seat made by Blumell, a name familiar to anyone in England with a bicycle pump. This was essentially a rectangular bladder, inflated by a tube that stuck out of the rear.

After first acquiring the car I had no owner's manual (natch; it was 24 years old) and assumed the seat interior was the usual foam plastic. After a while I got the strange impression that each day either I was shrinking or the steering wheel was slowly rising. Once I figured out what was happening, pulling out the tube and blowing into it to reinflate the seat was a daily occurrence, much to the amusement of local urchins. "What's it run on, mate; air?"

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
The battery spouting acid rings a bell ! Back in 1958 I raced jalopy class at Pinecrest Speedway, outside Toronto. In those carefree times the rules were a tad haphasard and we mounted the battery tucked into the frame X member of the 41 Ford almost under the seat and as low as possible. (Weight conscience you know).
We made the local paper as the most spectacular crash of the year and the driver side frame rail got pushed in far enough to crush the battery.With the car on its side the batt. acid and I ended up in the door cavity together till saftey crew got me out. On release from hospital a few hours later the clothes on my left side were pretty eaten away and i was itching like crazy.:eek:
The next year we raced a '52 Ford convertable but I think we put the battery somewhere else.

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
Nick. Do you think that Chevy Volt hoopla is realy going to be a problem in daily service? Seems I read that the problem only showed up in destruction testing. Lets face it any car will kill occupants if the accident is bad enough! Remember the Pinto gas tank problem? But I didnt buy a Pinto and probably will never buy a Volt.
I do my best to filter out "news media" sensational frensy reporting. Who knows?