• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Balata "Rebound" Straps needed

av8rbum

Donation Time
I'm looking for two balata (or rebound) straps for my S1 Alpine. As the picture shows, it is a fabric strap that keeps the rear axle from extending too far when going over bumps. I've looked at on-line catalogs from Victoria British and Sunbeam Specialties and it looks like no one carries them. Any ideas where to find new ones? Do I even really need them?

Attachments

• Axle Balata Strap.jpg
    Axle Balata Strap.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 48

alpine_64

Donation Time
Yes you need them,

there was a guy in Australia in Adelaide sellign them on e-bay for quite a while. If you do a search on the board you will find his details.. quite a few members bought them from there.. they were between 40-60 IIRC.

AlpineII

Donation Time
They are not hard to make up. I used some balistic nylon strapping, four layers, and just made up new ones.

Limey

Donation Time
Yes you need them,

there was a guy in Australia in Adelaide sellign them on e-bay for quite a while. If you do a search on the board you will find his details.. quite a few members bought them from there.. they were between 40-60 IIRC.

Yep, that's the man. Excellent and pretty exact repros.; the real McCoy. (MG midget straps may do as well)

These are proper waxed canvas, approx 1/4 inch thick. They are items of loveliness if you like things to be right and are not inclined to Okie bodging. This ain't no trek to Californi-ay!!;)

Sorry:eek:

View attachment 2046

View attachment 2047

av8rbum

Donation Time
Thanks!

Thanks for the ideas.

If anyone knows the member name of the guy in Australia, I'd really appreciate it. I'd like to get as close to the originals as possible.

Rick