• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bad Oil pressure gauge? Series II

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
How can you test an oil pressure gauge? Simply by applying air pressure? Do these gauges fail often? Do they need to be serviced? cleaned out?

alpine_64

Donation Time
How can you test an oil pressure gauge? Simply by applying air pressure? Do these gauges fail often? Do they need to be serviced? cleaned out?
Why are you asking this?
Are you getting inconsistent readings? Does it sometimes just drop?

A question like this always leads to... Have you checked your oil pressure relief valve?

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
Why are you asking this?
Are you getting inconsistent readings? Does it sometimes just drop?

A question like this always leads to... Have you checked your oil pressure relief valve?
Not getting any reading. I disconnected the line to the gauge and confirmed that I do have oil going through, but not squirting. Not sure what I should expect to see.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Not getting any reading. I disconnected the line to the gauge and confirmed that I do have oil going through, but not squirting. Not sure what I should expect to see.
There is a fine screen on the back of the gauge where the line goes in IIRC .. perhaps something there could be blocked?

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
Yes, 1592. Oil has less than 1K miles on it. Oil pressure relief valve in very good condition, moving freely. Oil line to gauge is new. Beginning to think it may be the oil pump. Can the oil pump be serviced without taking the engine out?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Yes, 1592. Oil has less than 1K miles on it. Oil pressure relief valve in very good condition, moving freely. Oil line to gauge is new. Beginning to think it may be the oil pump. Can the oil pump be serviced without taking the engine out?
Yes...but you are going to have to drop the sump

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor

"Oil line to gauge is new" suggests that you recently (???) changed the oil line between your 1592 engine and the factory dash mounted mechanical oil pressure gauge.

If your oil pressure gauge showed "good" oil pressure before changing the line and zero oil pressure after changing the line and if nothing else was changed, then it seems likely that "Not getting any reading" is probably associated with changing the "oil line to gauge..."

You can test the line and gauge by applying something like 50 PSI of air pressure to the engine end of the oil pressure gauge line. If the gauge shows something like 50 PSI, then the line and gauge are OK. If the gauge does not respond, then try applying air pressure directly to the gauge. If the gauge then responds correctly, the problem is most likely the feed line. If both the feed line and the gauge are OK, then start looking at more serious possibilities.