• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Backup Light Wiring and Sheet Metal Shift Plate

CRBASIN

Donation Time
Two questions related to the backup lights on my SV.

1. I cannot find any wiring near the transmission for the backup lights. From under the car I can see a small cylinder-shaped object on the left side near where the shifter passes through the floor. Could this be the backup light switch? I don't see any wires or connectors coming from it.

2. I noticed a piece of sheet metal that seems to cover the shifter mechanism from below. I can see four holes for screws/bolts. Does anyone know the thread size for these?

Thanks,

John

RootesRacer

Donation Time
IIRC the thread is #10-32.
If not that then its #8-32.

The reverse switch is at the front of the shifter unit.
There may be two switches, one for reverse the other for overdrive.

If there are no switches, there will be bolts in their place (or the trans will leak oil).

alpine_64

Donation Time
John,

The reverse light switch is on the right side of the remote shifter housing on a series V. You can access it from the top cover on the transmission tunnel.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
See photo of my series V overdrive transmission. The switch on the right, which is installed, is for the overdrive circuit. It is detecting the shifter being on the 3-4 side of the gearbox. The switch on the left (not installed) is for the reverse lights.

I assume the shifter on the standard series V transmission is oriented the same in regards to the switches.

Rick at Sunbeam Specialties sells the switch if needed - part T1800253, page 16 on his catalog. At some point my conclusion was that the switch is a Lucas SMB 499. I don't recall how I derived that part number.

Mike

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 54

CRBASIN

Donation Time
Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I found the switch--left side of shift mechanism--and connected wires to the posts. Low resistance when in reverse proves it is working. I think I am now ready to install Pete's harness.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Thanks for your replies. I found the switch--left side of shift mechanism--and connected wires to the posts. Low resistance when in reverse proves it is working. I think I am now ready to install Pete's harness.

There is provision for a switch on both left and right. If reverse is across right and down the switch should be in that side so the shifter engages the switch as you enter reverse. The switch on the 1/2 side is to disengage overdrive when a car goes out of 3/4

CRBASIN

Donation Time
Thanks

Derek

Donation Time
back up lights

this switch also uses thin washers to set the distance of through. if you are having issues you may need to add or subtract washers ( they are very thin) to get the lights to illuminate. been there.