• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

'B' Post trim panels

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
Hi Guys,

I'm in the final stages of an interior rebuild and am about to fit the small triangularish shaped trim panels to the 'B' Posts (inside the car just above the stainless tread plates). The thing is, my car didn't have them before for some unknown reason and as such I have no reference to work from and I can't actually see how they are secured. Do them screw to the 'B' Post, or do they attach in some other way? The side panels in the area behind the front seats have two metals tabs/prongs that stick out near the top and bottom of each panel - have these got something to do with it?

Cheers
Nick

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Nick, On all of my cars, those B pillar panels are held on with screws. The rear panels do have the clips on them, but these just screw on.
Hope that helps!
Cheers!
Steve

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
At what point do they screw on? I have to assume that my car had a pair of these when it left the factory, but I can't find any screw holes at all on the 'B' post. Also, those tabs on the side panels, are they supposed to be at 90 degrees to the panel, because mine are currently inline with them.

Cheers
Nick

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
The panels I have , have two holes. Now my memory is getting a little fuzzy so I'll have to check later tonight for you. I think there is one on the top and one at the bottom. I'm not necessarity saying that this is absolutely correct, just that my cars have them this way. I have also had Alpines in the past that had these panels glued to the B post as well, but again that may have been done by a previous owner.
I'll check my panels tonight & get back with you then.
Cheers!
Steve

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
The panels I have , have two holes. Now my memory is getting a little fuzzy so I'll have to check later tonight for you. I think there is one on the top and one at the bottom. I'm not necessarity saying that this is absolutely correct, just that my cars have them this way. I have also had Alpines in the past that had these panels glued to the B post as well, but again that may have been done by a previous owner.
I'll check my panels tonight & get back with you then.
Cheers!
Steve

Thanks Steve, that would be great! I must say, I have been tempted just to glue them on!

Cheers
Nick

65beam

Donation Time
b post trim

if you are talking about the aluminum triangles, they go on with three screws . they mount on the painted section where the tread plate turns upward toward the b post rubber .when you open the door they fill in the triangle section . there should be three screw holes,if not use the triangles for a pattern and you will find the filled in holes . the triangles do not go inside the car .

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
if you are talking about the aluminum triangles, they go on with three screws . they mount on the painted section where the tread plate turns upward toward the b post rubber .when you open the door they fill in the triangle section . there should be three screw holes,if not use the triangles for a pattern and you will find the filled in holes . the triangles do not go inside the car .

I thought someone might mention these! No, it's not the aluminium triangles, it's the trim panels that live inside the car attached to the 'B' Post.

Cheers
Nick

mikephillips

Donation Time
They started out with a couple of spring clips in the panel backer that went into the B post, later changing to just gluing the panel on as I recall.

65beam

Donation Time
b post trim

which series car do you have ? up thru series 4 there was upholstery glued to the wheel well with another panel that was held on by clips . the series 5 had the upholstery glued to the entire section . the triangle shaped panels that go on the top boot doors use the same plastic rivet that is used for holding the panel to the large top door . there are two rivets .

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
Nick,
On my SV which I just completed, the rear side panel was held in position with Xmas tree clips then contact adhesive at the B post, the bottom near the rear tray, the back edge and along the top edge where the padded rail is attached. This must be don't first.

Next the B post trim panel is attached using contact adhesive only on the pinch weld. When you attach the B post trim panel use the 2 screws with c'sink washer to position it correctly. Then carefully use contact adhesive to adhere the panel to the B post pinch weld. After adhering trim the vinyl so it will wrap around tot the opposite side of the pinch weld by about a 1/2". This will also need to be bonded to the pinch weld. make sure the 2 top most screws are aligned with the top frame anchor holes.

Next attach the top boot.

Next attach the padded rail. The ends of the padded rail tuck under the B post trim panel at the 2 upper top frame anchor positions. These 2 upper screws dont actually pull the chipboard liner of the B post trim panel but only the vinyl. Its important that these 2 screws are subflush to the B post trim panel or the B post cap will not seat correctly.

Now attach the B post weatherstrip, remembering to use the rivets in the original position.

To complete attach the B post caps using the rubber liner under them to protect the body. Mount the door rubber bumper with the upper cap mounting screw.

As a general hint, I would run a tap through to the top frame mounting holes.

Hope this helps.

Jim

ALC 68A

Donation Time
On my series 3 GT, the B post isn't separately trimmed and does not look as if it ever was. The edge of the GT rear quarter trim panels extend over this area, almost to the rubber strip covering the spot welded seam. The body half of the hard top clamp is fixed in the narrow gap between the two. Perhaps there is a difference between GTs and Sports, as the GT trim is a more substantial piece of kit.

Steve

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
OK Nick, Now I know why I was a bit fuzzy earlier today. My Series IV, which is driven almost exclusively (mainly because it's the only running car at the moment!) has three screws holding the B post trim on. That's what I remember. However, MY SIV is an ST. On my S3GT, the B post trim is a bit more elaborate. On the ST, the B post trim is a flat piece, most like what Forza design had shown in the pictures. The GT B post panel folds around the B post corner and tucks under the side panel that's held on by clips. The front part is, as far as I can tell, glued onto the front of the B post as there are no screw holes there, at least on my car.

Hope that helps!
Cheers!
Steve

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
Thanks for the photos and the detailed information guys!

I should have mentioned earlier that my car is a GT. My rear quarter panels do not seem to wrap around, but instead end at the sides just before the forward-facing part of the 'B' post. This is the only photo I have at present of how they fit. It was taken before I started the rebuild, so please ignore the awful carpet etc!

AlpineInterior3.jpg

If you look closely you can see the two metal tabs that are attached to it.

Cheers
Nick

ALC 68A

Donation Time
An on line host? There's clearly more to this than I thought. I assumed I could just copy the picture into the message - obviously not. Can anyone tell me in simple non-techy terms what I have do to be able to post pictures into the forum? Thanks.

Steve

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
An on line host? There's clearly more to this than I thought. I assumed I could just copy the picture into the message - obviously not. Can anyone tell me in simple non-techy terms what I have do to be able to post pictures into the forum? Thanks.

Steve

You can attach a pic to the thread by using the paperclip tool on the reply screen, although there are size limitations, or you will need to setup an account with Flickr, Picasa, photobucket etc etc so they can 'host' the pics and you just put a link in the forum (like you did before).

Cheers
Nick

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Nick
Duh! I hadn't noticed the paperclip symbol. Thanks for the advice. Please close eyes to the holes in the seat (since repaired - this pic was from when I bought the car) and concentrate vision on the B post trim. As I said in my post, the front of the quarter panel covers this area, apart from where the hard top clamp is fixed.

Steve

Attachments

• P1010074a.jpg
    P1010074a.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 53

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
Thanks for that! It looks like there's a thin piece of vertical trim between the edge of the rear side panel and the 'B' post - a completely different piece to the one I've got. Have you got a close-up pic of that area at all?

Cheers
Nick

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Nick - I haven't got another picture I'm afraid. I'll take a close-up when I can and post it. Which part of London are you from by the way? I'm in the Surrey and South London group - meeting at Epsom Downs.

Steve