• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

AutoZone Scam

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yesterday, #2 son called, reporting a problem. Alternator light was flashing, check engine light was on. What's the problem?

I told him I had no clue, he is dealing with a computer and God only knows what might be happening. He called a few hours later. Same symptoms, but now the tach would not work when the lights were on. He decided to stop at an AutoZone to get the alternator checked.

The guy at Autozone did a load test on the battery, it failed. Said the battery was bad and could not check the alternator until a good battery was installed. I told Nathan to get the hell out of there, the guy was scamming him. But now, the battery was so low the car would not start. Nathan told the guy he would buy the battery, but if the alternator was bad, they could keep it. The guy said they could not do that, once the battery was installed it was used and could not be returned. So he got a jump from AAA, got it home and I checked it out.

Negative battery clamp was disintegrated. Put the charger on the battery while I drove to Walmart (8:30 P.M.) to get a new clamp. Nathan slept. Replaced the clamp, checked battery voltage. It had come up to 12.4. Started the car, voltage reading of 12.2. That's pretty clear, needs an alternator.

I don't think I will ever go to another AutoZone. I was getting pretty soured on them anyway, this finishes it.

Bill