• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Autometer Cobra 8000 Tach installed

Duke

Donation Time
Much Thanks to Paul R. Breuhan [prbreuhanAThotmailDOTcom] for his screening services, I now have an accurate 8000 tach in my Tiger.

002-5.jpg

004-1.jpg

I used the original gauge's class, outer and inner bezel too. This takes about 1 hour worth on modification to the autometer's case.

Now a question for you all -

I am having a problem with the needle jumping around when the engine is at idle. Once the rpm is over 2000, it reads correct. When I turn on the lights, at idle, it settles down a lot but still twitches. Sometimes when I start the car it reads the correct idle RPM for a few seconds and then starts to jump. I called the AutoMeter tech line and the guy thinks that I have a ground or 12v power issue. He suggested that the alternator may have a bad diode and is causing voltage problems at idle. I tried using different 12V sources with no fix. I also tried different grounds with no success.

I am also using a accell electronic ignition kit in my distributer.

When driving the car, the tach works perfect......until it drops below 2000 RPM. Any advice as where to start?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Duke,

The issues sounds similar to the ones guys have with pertronix igntions in alpines, and indeed the tach issues when you change to electroniv igntions in the Tigers.. had something to do with the different pulses IIRC.. but as yours is a modern gauge.. not sure what the issue is.

BTW.. wasnt there a way to get the original needle on the autometer?

Duke

Donation Time
Update -

We discovered that the stock needle works great.

012-1.jpg

011.jpg

I also got a new face from Paul (using the OEM face) that very closely matches the Rootes Works Tiger 8000 tach. Seen below.

8KJaegertach.jpg

BTW - fixed the jumping need with a new voltage regulator for the Alt.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Beautifully done! Congratulations!

I have an 8000 rpm VDO tach in my V8 Tiger. It works very well. As I view your tach it causes me to consider modifying the the face to match the speedo. Hmmmmm