• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Autolite 4100 carburetor

saltykracker

Donation Time
Will an autolite 4100 fit on a f4b in a Tiger? Word is these were fine carbs, and came in a 1.08 bore which translates to around 475 cfm. I'm running a little more than stock cam, crane 410 and headers. Any opinions?

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Saltykracker,

I believe the Autolite 4100 was also on some of our early Aussie V8's. 308ci I think. I don't know much about these, but the 475 cfm should cope ok without starving your engine considering the stock 2 barrel was around the 260 cfm mark. It will also depend on the jetting.

Regards, Robin.

V_Mad

Donation Time
The Autolite 4100 carburettor has a great reputation, with the bonus of being very lightweight. If I had a Mustang etc that is what I would fit, unfortunately it is longer than the Holley 4150/4160 and will not really fit into the little Tiger engine compartment; I tried it on mine and it fouls the firewall. I wondered about turning it round 180 deg, but its still too tight for my liking. The Holley (450CFM) is heavy, but it seems to work a treat on the stock 260, and at least I saved some weight using an Ally intake.

saltykracker

Donation Time
Hi Robin, I'll look up to see what they have, want to stay at or under 500 cfm. What do you know about fitment. I have a stock hood for now and will probably do a backwards shelby scoop in the future.

64beam

Donation Time
I believe the F4B manifold is a hi-rise manifold. Before I decided to hang off with the four barrel manifold and carby, I looked at the edelbrock performer 289 manifold. The performer is lower than the F4B but flows alot better than the stock manifold (not sure about the F4B). The edelbrock carby will still fit on the F4B under the bonnet, the air cleaner may need replacing though. The LAT option with the F4B, manifold, etc used a Holley and which also gave you a replacement air cleaner in the kit.

Regards, Robin.

pdq67

Donation Time
I have an Edelbrock 500 on an F4B and it is the best money I have spent on performance and reliability. It was almost $100 cheaper than the Holley and was bolt on and drive. I don't know if the stock air cleaner will fit but the stock air cleaner probably doesn't flow enough air to maximize the performance of the carb anyway. I did have to modify the Lokar linkage a bit from the setup I had for the Holley to get it to work but it was no big deal.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I have an Edelbrock 500 on an F4B and it is the best money I have spent on performance and reliability. It was almost $100 cheaper than the Holley and was bolt on and drive. I don't know if the stock air cleaner will fit but the stock air cleaner probably doesn't flow enough air to maximize the performance of the carb anyway. I did have to modify the Lokar linkage a bit from the setup I had for the Holley to get it to work but it was no big deal.

I changed to Edelbrock some years back and it is the best.No more Holleys for me.
With the 351 in the lister I had to cut down the collar of the air cleaner housing.I'm using the ford style 20 inch oval cleaner and it just clears like by maybe 1/16th of an inch
On the 302 in the 62 I'm using one of those triangular air cleaners with the replaceable foam inserts.lots of clearance to the hood.had to modify the mounting plate to clear the firewall as I moved the engine back somewhat

saltykracker

Donation Time
Thanks again guys, let me post my question differently. I have the motor assembeled sans carburetor. The ford 4bbl aluminum manifold that is now on is from an 85 or so mustang. It is a low rise design, and I port matched the 260 to it. Do I stand to gain anything, besides period correctness by changing to the f4b. Thanks

64beam

Donation Time
Thanks again guys, let me post my question differently. I have the motor assembeled sans carburetor. The ford 4bbl aluminum manifold that is now on is from an 85 or so mustang. It is a low rise design, and I port matched the 260 to it. Do I stand to gain anything, besides period correctness by changing to the f4b. Thanks

From what I understand, a hi-rise type manifold are designed for better performance. If you take a look at the edelbrock web site, various manifold give better torque/power than others over different rev ranges.

Regards, Robin.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor

Good morning:

You will gain performance with the F4B manifold and a 4bbl carb. The Holley 465 cfm is a very good match for the 260 cu in engine. I ran one on my V8 conversion for several months and it worked well. When I changed engines - I now have a 302 bored .30 oversize and a bit hotter cam, the 465 was not enough carb for the engine. If interested I am willing to sell it very reasonably. You can email me offline at palmjeld@mitchelltelecom.net

V_Mad

Donation Time
The claims for better performance from performance (eg high rise) manifolds apply to power at the top end of the rev range, and only then if the rest of the engine (headers, carb, cam, heads/valves etc) is also suited to deloping power at high revs.

There is no real benefit on a mild engine. You will probably even lose some low down torque as the runners will be a bigger volume.

saltykracker

Donation Time
Thanks everyone, I have had 3 alpines and one tiger. Many questions are in the future and I say alpine/tiger, falcon/fairlane.