• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Any new high torque starters fit the Tiger?

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Jan

I have one of the new high torque starters on my newly restored '66 Tiger.
I'll get the part number for you and post it on Monday.

It takes less energy and is about half the weight of the original FoMoCo starter.

Duke

Donation Time
I purchased a Hi Torque starter for my 347.

http://www.hitorque.com

005-4.jpg

Can't remember the price.....over $100. It is for a 157 tooth flywheel. Was the starter recommended for a Tiger. IMI #1106. It is small and can be R&Red with headers.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Jan

The 289/302 with a 157 tooth flywheel requires a starter with Lester number 3153. The one on your link won't work. The company does carry the Lester 3153 version, though. That's a very good price for the starter. I paid about $40 more for a WAI product. It was worth it as it gave me the clearance I needed with the headers. It is also much lighter and easier to handle.

Check out this link for a good explanation of difference between the 164 and 157 flywheel differences. http://www.bcbroncos.com/ford starters.pdf

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Starter

I used a JEGS Hi Torque starter on the V8 Alpine it is a Nippodenso based
motor smaller than the ford starter and is multi position adjustable(much like
Dukes picture) we're also using this on the Tiger we are building. just for info
the tooth count , so I'm told makes no differance it is the center line distance betweem the gears also Summit has a 4:1 starter that looks like the stock one and is a gear reduction deal, the Jegs starter is 180 bucks but then
a Tilton or others are 2x or more that. and Duke safety wire or loctite the long retaining bolts, they have been knowm to come loose at least for me!