• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Any Experience With Alsa Easy Chrome?

CV428

Donation Time
Sadly, most companies that offered decorative chrome have dried up, closed, or no longer offer that service due to EPA restrictions. There are only a handful left and they charge top dollar. I had a set of V8 valve covers that was quoted at $800 for decorative chrome. Bumpers are in the $1200-$3000 range. It's insane. There is a plating company one town over from me that used to do decorative chrome on valve covers for $120 a set but they closed that vat 7 years ago.

As my wife and I start on our Alpine restoration project, there are a good number of details that need to be re-chromed and the options are limited. I can't justify $10k in chroming. Has anyone tried Alsa Easy Chrome or any of the chrome alternatives such as that? I have tried "chrome" powdercoating but it always has a cheap plastic appearance to it, so that is not an option.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I used a company in East Tennessee and another in Dallas, Ga both were expensive but reasonable(Bumpers were ($650 - 700 ea)

CV428

Donation Time
I used a company in East Tennessee and another in Dallas, Ga both were expensive but reasonable(Bumpers were ($650 - 700 ea)
I will have to look into them.

I did talk with the guys at the local plating shop and they said they can do decorative bright nickel plating on bumpers and trim, so that may be an option too. It's a little "warmer" of a look than trivalent/hexavalent chrome but more corrosion-resistant.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
It's a little "warmer" of a look than trivalent/hexavalent chrome but more corrosion-resistant.

If you've not not kept up with the issues of domestic chrome plating, this is a big part of reason - Federal standards compliance.

This is the first return for a Google search for "hexavalent chrome":

How bad is hexavalent chromium?

Hexavalent chromium is harmful to the eyes, skin, and respiratory system. NIOSH considers all Cr(VI) compounds to be occupational carcinogens. Workers may be harmed from exposure to hexavalent chromium.

Hope this helps,

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just wondering, has anybody ever seen nickel that has been sealed with clear topcoat paint? Maybe even clear coat with a taste of blue added?
Bill