• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Any body know anything about: Megajolt/E

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I just mentioned the TBI as a poor man's Sniper alternative. Dan's intake with a carb only needs the Megajolt jr for a distributor alternative. You can use the Microsquirt to control the original fuel injection and ignition.

Last edited:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan,

I've tried to follow this discussion and "sorta" could, but I seem to have missed something.

You've created a custom intake to mount a carb. OK. You seem to be saying you can't use the E-DIS which is the distributor function of the 4.0.

WHY?....... What's the issue(s)?

I'm not familiar with any electronic Ford Engine Control system. I've got an idea, but figure it's not really workable for an electronic reason.

So just for an unenlightened person like me, or the future visitor seeking information about how to rectify the same issue your having, please restate your problem from the start.

Thanks in advance,

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have several FORD 4.0 OHV V6 1992-1995 engines. They came from the factory with fuel injection and without distributors.

In an attempt by me to install the 4.0 OHV V6 in a Sunbeam Alpine (very similar to the 2.8 V^), I discovered the factory FI sat rather tall and stuck out of the hood at least two inches or more. I did not like the looks. In the process I have a custom intake fabricated utilizing the "FI bottom half" (Base) for the bottom of 4bbl intake.

All was well until I came to the ignition. Not having a distributor I could not get any further.

I am attempting to utilize the factory "trigger" on the harmonic balancer; the 6 plug coil pack and the EDIS-6, all factory. What I am missing is a means to fire the system minus a distributor.

There have been lots of suggestions. I have tried to follow but keep running into dead ends.

I just got off the phone with "the Expert" from Holley today after more than an hour with John trying to come up with something for me. He finally said the Terminator X may be a way to get there, adding that it would take a lot of study......

I found a site that has MEGAJOLT2 that seems to be an answer to what I want. Sent E-mail (s) last week but not replay yet.

Might go back to the Factory FI if I don't get something soon. May even try modifying my 4bbl intake so that it will allow clearance for a distributor.

Another option is to modify a low profile FI, I may cut/shave the bottom piece and modify the "top" piece by taking an inch or more of the height out.
You seem to be saying you can't use the E-DIS which is the distributor function of the 4.0.
I am not saying I can't use the EDIS. I am saying I have not found a system that will work for me using the carb without the distributor, YET!!!

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan-on the surface the Holley Terminator X with a throttle body EFI may ultimately look to be a workable solution but I suspect it may take some programming to work with a 6 cylinder engine…not sure but I doubt that’s a user specified option and may have to be done by Holley (if they will do it at all)…also the throttle body EFI they spec with it are all 650 cfm or more which would be way too much carb for that engine…

I think the Megajolt is your answer…I don’t know if you‘ve seen this link but there’s quite a bit of detail in how it works here…

I don’t want to set back your progress but I’d re-design that intake to a 2 barrel and slap the Sniper 2300 EFI into the system…it would work great with the Megajolt and be more than enough carb for the 4.0.

One question that isn’t clear to me is whether or not the stock trigger wheel will work or if you need to buy the one they sell…also you’ll need a crank sensor… to install those will take some minor surgery on the engine.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
One question that isn’t clear to me is whether or not the stock trigger wheel will work
According to their Site, it will.

Dan, I don't have a phone # but you may want to join their Forum:

Autosport Labs - Index page
Jim, I have tried to register three times and can't get by their "verification" question.

Spambot prevention. name our product for race cars or engines. if confused, email our sales address for help.:
This question is a means of preventing automated form submissions by spambots.

Last edited:

AWM

Bronze Level Sponsor
According to their Site, it will.

Jim, I have tried to register three times and can't get by their "verification" question.

Spambot prevention. name our product for race cars or engines. if confused, email our sales address for help.:
This question is a means of preventing automated form submissions by spambots.

I've not used EDIS on a Ford V6 but on a Rover V8 you don't need the Distributor as it's all controlled in the system and the crankshaft trigger wheel and sensor provides all the necessary rotating input. I would expect the 6 cyl. version to be the same. You can get high energy 'racing' type EDIS modules if you want to upgrade the Ford product. It's pretty much a bomb proof solution to the ignition side on V6 and V8 conversions and dead popular with the Rover V8 brigade.

Andrew

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
It's pretty much a bomb proof solution to the ignition side on V6 and V8 conversions and dead popular with the Rover V8 brigade.

Thanks Andrew, for that welcomed response! Very encouraging to this olde man. It has been several years in the making for me on this V6 Project.

AWM

Bronze Level Sponsor
Welcome.

There's people offering complete kits for the Rover V8 conversions but you can put it all together yourself easily enough, especially as you are in the US of course. I used it with Megasquirt which can be set up to work with it. Let me know if I can provide any more input.

Andrew