• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Any body know anything about: Megajolt/E

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I made a search on the 4.0 OHV V6 that perked my interest.

FORD 4.0 OHV V6 modified intake

Found an article about Megajolt/E. Anyone have any knowledge on this system?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, it looks like the EDIS system used by the MicroSquirt unit, but with a boatload of bells and whistles added. All of them are in the computer module, so nothing is simplified. But maybe, just maybe, if it is designed to be a hard wired spark controller, installation and hookup are easier.
Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan, it is an ignition controller made by the Megasquirt guys to eliminate the distributor and use a 36 tooth trigger wheel on the crank. Usually with Ford EDIS box. There is a basic one that is cheaper called Megajolt Jr.

Jim, it appears that it should work for me. The 4.0 "does not" have the distributor! It does have the 36 tooth trigger wheel (harmonic balancer) AND uses the EDIS box. The trigger goes to the coil pack (6 positions).

THis just might be what I have been looking for all thee years (three).
But maybe, just maybe,
Mr Bill, The reference that Jim gave led me to this note: The MJLJ is an ideal ignition solution for carburated engines; it can also work in conjunction with compatible EFI systems.

Now, my situation is a tad bit abnormal ( that's me alright), the 4.0 was factory FI w/out a distributor. I went with a custom carb inlieu of the FI.

I sent an E-mail to the company with all the details I could ASKING FOR THEIR HELP. Will keep you guys posted on the developments. Sure hoping this is it,

DanR

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
If I read your reference correctly, it is V8, not V6 (like my FORD 4.0 OHV V6)

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
V6MEGAJOLTWIRING_zpsb2595026.jpg

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Diagram above is for a V6. This is 4.0 Ford v6 firing order and sparkplug coil placement:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is where I asked SUmmit for input on their system:

I have several projects underway utilizing FORD Explorer (1992-1995) 4.0 OHV V6s.
They did not come from the factory with distributors, but had a drive gear for the oil pump.
These engines and transmissiond are installed in Sunbeam Alpines by me. Will the Holley Sniper 2 EFI work on a FORD 4.0 OHV V6 ? One, that does not have a distributor; that has a custom 4 bbl intake (fabricaggted by me); and is mated to either a FORD automatic transmission (A4LD) or a 5 speed manual?”
Holley Sniper 2 EFI Returnless Kit, Without PDM,

Z5TWYlTWaRvahL1AWx9GQF-hVCvRWSPjs6Pss6LcD4DfRBfxyXRG32Ji1qaee2teTu3S0_Tb4SmzE9Q1Els3fXpQdHywkK6w8I2_d5Smbok38fjvtDS1tL1uVkbSY7KQuATr9CNbgKBdFf8pYYnxOjkf37x4iwIHYIJ8dkuJqnuVw0Z8FG5rOgfUaWMWbU5LJ77Nz9XWikbE9wsQIVsQBkqo47WYvN3CJosMw1TdysxABN46d9yP-5QwqXj-PKbEwGd7zPa20VOcuHzU_VeGTvbbjATnST4x0IRRujkC3yEBdVI0Yfue=s0-d-e1-ft

RESPONSE FROM SPEEDWAY MOTORS: “I apologize but we're not sure how this will work with your setup. I would recommend contacting Holley directly at 866-464-6553 for further assistance.”
Dustin from Speedway Motors

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, a lot of guys run the Holley Sniper with their stock distributors. I see no reason why you couldn't with the Megajolt Jr. The Sniper does have the capability to run ignition with their Holley specific distributor. The 4 barrel Snipers are meant for bigger motors. The 2300 2 barrel Sniper is better sized to the 4.0.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, any info as to how Dan would be better off to run the MegaJolt instead of a MicroSquirt? I think the ability of the MicroSquirt to "graduate" into becoming the engine controller is very important. I suppose the question is one of the ease of use of the MegaJolt vs. MicroSquirt. But lets beat the bushes at bit. Anybody here willing to work Dan through the jungle of installing a Microsquirt as an ECM and not as spark controller?
Bill

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Bill, If Dan wants to run a carburetor The Megajolt jr would just be a distributor replacement. If he wants fuel injection the Microsquirt will control both. I would look at 88-91 Dodge Dakota truck 3.9 V6 2 barrel TBI throttle body that was made by Holley. If running a Sniper the Megajolt would just replace the distributor. If Morana can make a distributor work for the 4.0 I think it would be possible to modify a 2.8 distributor to work. Here is a pic of the Dodge throttle body:

Attachments

• D_NQ_NP_2X_757782-MLM45003067093_022021-F.jpg
    D_NQ_NP_2X_757782-MLM45003067093_022021-F.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan- Holley has an excellent tech forum to help with Sniper EFI questions. The administrator is named Danny Cabral and he is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I was able to get many of my questions answered via that forum.

Here is the link to the Holley forum: https://forums.holley.com/forum/holley-efi

One of the inputs to the EFI is “Crank Signal”…I’m only guessing (and emphasizing “guess”) that perhaps thats where you feed the trigger wheel signal…and as far as transmissions go as related to your question posed to Summit, the Sniper is indifferent…it does however have a vacuum port to connect the line to the A4LD vacuum modulator.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, Here is a PIC of the Dodge 88-91 Dakota truck 3.9 V6 fitted with the 2 barrel TBI throttle body, it has a distributor which my FORD OHV V6 does not. I am attempting to run without a distributor mainly because of the design of my intake "followed" the FORD Factory FI Base. There is not enough space behind the top piece of my intake for a distributor. I my have to go back to the designing board again.

2009-08-22_204209_3.9.gif

I looked at the Morona intake and do not like it. From the PIC's they allow you to see it appears to be a flat plate base, then some sort of moulded top. My intake consist of two pieces, the base is same as the factoryone the top piece has the airflow passage ways similar to that which FORD and other Designers have developed.

Sorry for being so stupid

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
One of the inputs to the EFI is “Crank Signal”…I’m only guessing (and emphasizing “guess”) that perhaps thats where you feed the trigger wheel signal…
Bill E, I have contacted Holley several times, either I can't effectively convey my problem or they led me to believe my 4.0 OHV V6 fitted with the Carb, "must" have a distributor, I shall make contact with Danny,

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
As I recall, Dan's 4.0 does not have room for a distributor. As I recall, the carburetor is in the way, in a very big way. Dan wants to get the car on the road, any way possible. Full Stop

I keep wondering about the advantage of the MegaJolt over the MicroSquirt as the Megasquirt could run the spark and if Llghtening should strike and Dan finds someone willing to setup the 4.0 with a MegaSquirt, it would be fairly simple to do as Dan would have all the goodies. Ten years ago, I would have volunteered to do the job. Two or three days staying in Dan's camper would get it running, but I have lost most of my problem solving ability.
Bill
P.S. Sorry to foul things, this was written yesterday but not posted. Just an example of how I can foul things up. Don't understand why Dan would want to run a TB with Microsquirt. It can handle up to V8 ported EFI.