• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Anti-rattle strips

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm trying to figure out how to install the fuzzy anti-rattle strips. Rick at SS says they go on after the window is installed, but I can't figure out how to do it. My fingers sure won't fit up there. Any tips? The windows have been the biggest PITA of the whole job.

greenbean

Donation Time
Mine went in quite easy. I cut them to length and bent the back end to 90 degrees to cover the back of the window opening and placed them on the clips from the top and pushed down with some heavy pressure where each clip was. Note: I marked the location of each clip before the install ;)

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
strips

Mine went in quite easy. I cut them to length and bent the back end to 90 degrees to cover the back of the window opening and placed them on the clips from the top and pushed down with some heavy pressure where each clip was. Note: I marked the location of each clip before the install ;)

I don't understand what you mean by back end or how you bent it. Maybe my problem is that I put the clips on the strip first when I should have installed the clips from below and then shoved the strip down onto them. But I can't get my fingers up high enough to put the clips in place. :confused:

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
Figured it out!

For anyone facing the same problem, note that it can be done as follows. (1) Using needle nose pliers, put two bends in the end of a hacksaw blade so it forms a flat hook that's just big enough to cradle one of the clips. (2) Put a blob of rubber cement or contact cement in the hook part. (3) Put a clip on top of the blob. (4) Insert it all into the window slot, align the clip with the metal skin, and pull upward on the blade until the clip seats. Repeat with the other clips. After that, roll up the window a little bit and shove the strip down into the clips. BTW, if you wrap some electrical tape around the end of the hacksaw blade to form a handle, you won't be as likely to saw a finger off.