• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

another seat question

norville

Donation Time
I know , I know not another seat question. I'm looking at 3 different seats and really 5 options to me. Some day I will rebuild the seats I have, but I'd like to drive it sooner than later. I'd like to keep it looking somewhat stock. I'm leaning towards option 2

option 1:

http://www.jbugs.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=62-2814&Category_Code=RaceTrim7

option 2:

http://www.jbugs.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=62-2789&Category_Code=RaceTrim1

option 3:

http://www.jbugs.com/store/merchant...e=62-2779-5W62-2779-6&Category_Code=RaceTrim1

option 4:

Is finding a set of either MG , mustang, miata ect...

Option 5:

Would be to just wait for a set to rebuild.

thanks,

bob

AlpineII

Donation Time
Bob,
Some nice looking seats! I would be concerned with optiosn 2 and 3 for two reasons. First is the seat height. There is not a lot of room between steering wheel and knees so this is something to watch out for. The second is width. The original Alpine seats are not that wide and if you still have the centre console in place you may have problems with the width.

I went with Recarro racing seats, only temporarily so I could drive my Series II until I do something more longer term. The ones I chose were narrow and low enough to easily sldie into place and they had the slots of the racing harness so I could easily install three-point belts.

Do some measurements on the height of the seat and the width of the originals priorop top finally choosing something to go with.

Right now I have a pair of seats from a Mustang II that I am thinking of fitting into my Series 3.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Bob,
In addition to the excellent points Eddie made, be careful of seat depth - especially if you are tall. Most modern seats have thicker seat backs than the original Sunbeam seats, which translates into less leg room.

I see you are in PA. Option 6 is to borrow a set of Sunbeam seats from me until yours are rebuilt. I am in the Allentown area. If you are within driving distance, your cost is zero.

norville

Donation Time
I agree about the "size" of the seats. I measured my S3 frames and they are close. these are a suspension type seat so my tush should drop in a bit. the local VW buggie shop really likes these they have the tall ones there. I may stop by and try them out.

Does anyone have a complete factory seats to take some measurements??

I like option 2 so I could remove the headrest and use a tonnou cover.

bob

norville

Donation Time
Bob,
In addition to the excellent points Eddie made, be careful of seat depth - especially if you are tall. Most modern seats have thicker seat backs than the original Sunbeam seats, which translates into less leg room.

I see you are in PA. Option 6 is to borrow a set of Sunbeam seats from me until yours are rebuilt. I am in the Allentown area. If you are within driving distance, your cost is zero.

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that.. At least it would get me over this seat issue... I have tons of other things to do but can't seem to get beyond this one...

I'm afraid I may never return them .... :) Do you have any you want to part with? I have a new set of S2 covers from British Victoria...

I'm in pa 18707 about an hour away. did I hear a mini Pa invasion??

bob

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Bob,
I have a couple sets out of Series IV parts cars that would be candidates for rebuilding, and the set I took out of my Series V that I would describe as "serviceable" (definitely not show quality). You can borrow or buy any of them - come take a look and make me an offer. I'll be happy to see them put to good use. I don't have any plans for them - I just hate to throw Sunbeam stuff out since there is only a finite supply available.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Bob,
Some nice looking seats! I would be concerned with optiosn 2 and 3 for two reasons. First is the seat height.

Right now I have a pair of seats from a Mustang II that I am thinking of fitting into my Series 3.

The Mustang seats are very comfotable.We did thousands of miles with them in the 62.Drove 20 plus hours straight one time.They fit but rails need brackets or at least some modification.If keeping the consol you will have to have install them at a slight off set angle to clear the rear post of the door opening.I did the 62 over but I sure kept the seats.