• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Another 2.8l lives!

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
A good day. The 2.8 that I built nearly 5 years ago fired and ran today! The engine has been on a stand and patiently waiting through 3 deployments to SW Asia and other trips totaling more than2 years. Add to that another 18 months where I worked 300 miles from home after (retirement) from the mil.

I installed the motor and the trans a couple weeks ago to begin the mockup of all the big pieces so I can get all the little pieces right, such as brake, clutch, and fuel lines and a myriad of other stuff, but all of you know how that is.

I decided I needed a motivator that would only be satisfied by hearing the beast roar. I mocked up some wiring and elect fuel pump. After that came priming the oil system before installing the distributor and wires. I also built a small panel for a switch, start/run resistor, and fuse for the elect fuel pump.

After only about 2 revolutions, it came to life. Timing was off initially because it belched some fire but quickly settled after turning the dizzy a bit. I only let it run for about 15 seconds cause I didn't have water in it......but mission accomplished. I'm happy to hear it run for the first time and am motivated once again.

New 390 Holley
Delta cam
Pistons to make compression 9.5/1
2.9 valves
Ported and polished heads
Jose's handiwork for a install kit

It sounds awesome with open headers, to the point my wife became worried about the neighbors.....baaaaa humbug.

At the risk of repeating myself.....thank you to all who contribute to this forum...that's the only reason this car is progressing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 67

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
WK, isn't really nice to hear it fire and run.
Nice job; the engine looks to be a real torque machine.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
You noticed how quick it fired, even with the timing off a bit? These engines just want to run. Congratulations on getting it fired! Now you can work knowing what fun you´ll have when it´s done.

Jose

Alpine66

Donation Time
Congrats! That's exactly what I did to motivate. Next big motivator was moving under its own power, another huge shot in the arm. Now its downhill from here (although not a walk in the park). Keep at it and let us know your progress.

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
Congratulations indeed!
After being completed at a hot rod shop, my 2.8 V6 sat in my garage with the engine- less Alpine for several years while my son and I were too busy with our business to tinker on cars. When we did finally get it to a friends garage and they went to work on it, the engine fired right up and has done so ever since. :)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Wonderful treat!

Wish you much success with the car! Takes time! More time! Then a bit more time! Then when it is all done, the fun "continues!!