• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Anchoring snap posts

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have had a long time problem getting the snap fastener post just behind the doors, for the soft top and for the tonneau cover, to stay in place. The hole is so worn that the sheet metal thread barely holds the post for a little while. I thought I was on the way to solving the problem by buying some posts with machine screw threads : 10-32 from SS. But I cannot find any 10-32 "jack nuts" or other self clinching nuts that will go into the blind hole. My local hardware store has some but they only have either 6-32 and 10-24 versions. Any ideas?

Tom

tom o

Donation Time
The only solution I know of is to pull the interior panel off and put a nut on it from inside.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tom, "Pull the interior panel off"? Is that possible? Is the interior panel not welded into place? It's an SV. I pulled all the screws off the soft top hinge and moved it a few inches to see if it looked like there was a way to get to that underside and it looked like a solid steel wall there.

Tom

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom,

My series V had all of its interior panels removed during its restoration. I haven't replaced any of them yet. Is the area you need to access where the B pillar drain pipe resides?

And BTW, my soft top assembly is currently not installed.

Mike

Attachments

• 20150713-002 seat belt 3rd mount.jpg
    20150713-002 seat belt 3rd mount.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 22

65beam

Donation Time
tom,
just push a screwdriver behind the upholstery panel just behind the door opening and pop the fastener loose. you may have to pop a couple loose to be able to get your hand in to attach the nut. then just push the clips back in and you're done.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Oh, I see. Thanks guys,

It looks like a bit of a reach up and around the hinge "pocket" but seems doable. I may have to unscrew the trim piece on the front of the pillar. Not sure how the factory did it, but it seems when I did mine 28 years ago I attached the vinyl and cardboard to the front of the pillar with screws. Might be a separate piece though. Shouldn't be too tough.

Tom

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks, Jan. On the same website they also show "Rivnuts", similar concept . I'm going to see if my local Fastener Supply company carries either.

Tom

chazza

Donation Time
Thanks, Jan. On the same website they also show "Rivnuts", similar concept . I'm going to see if my local Fastener Supply company carries either.

Tom

Have a look on eBay Tom - heaps of choice there!

Cheers Charlie