• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ammeter for Series 3 - options?

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
OK, so Shipwrights Disease has me in its grip.....

After finding the tacho in my car has gummed up, and thinking I may as well also pull the speedo which has had a 'wavering needle' for many years, I get to wondering about the odd-looking 30 amp Smiths ammeter with white needle.

Should a Series 3 have a Lucas 30A ammeter with a white needle pointing down? The rest of the gauges are Jaeger, red needle, pointing up.

Theoretical question: if a person with mild OCD was offended by the odd ammeter, what are the options? Is there a Jaeger red-needle voltmeter or ammeter around that I could swap?

Cheers,
Paul.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Speedo comment, not ammeter: Try tracing the speedo cable and securing it so that it doesn't whip about... that might help the wavy-ness. There could be other reasons, but that's worth a try first...

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Is there a Jaeger red-needle voltmeter or ammeter around that I could swap?

I am a big fan of voltmeters, ever since I narrowly avoided an ammeter-caused fire in my SV. A TE/AE member had a run of pretty good Smiths Voltmeters made, but his for sale posts on the TE/AE forum have been deleted, so I assume they are all gone. Sunbeam Specialities lists one for $155 (same price for ammeters) but I have never seen one of theirs.

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks everyone for the tips and info.

To summarise for future searchers:
Original for a Series 3 would have been a Lucas -30-0-30 Amp ammeter with red needle pointing up. (Series 2 white needles on all gauges?)

Ammeters run all the current through heavy gauge wires across the back of the dash and through the meter, posing an increased risk of fire should a cable rub through to earth. A safer option is to fit a voltmeter. Sunbeam Specialties has repro voltmeters to match the other gauges.

Ken, thanks also for the speedo cable tip. Will have a look.
Cheers,
Paul.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
The eBay AMPS gauge is, indeed, the correct one for a Series III & IV. However, this gauge is missing the insulator and spade connectors necessary for correct installation. Sure, you could wrap stripped wires around the threaded posts and tighten them down with the nuts but that would be a REALLY BAD idea, IMO.

Mark ..... volvoguys