• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Aluminum Radiator For Sunbeam Alpine Series V (EBAY)

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jan,

I'm guessing they are made in China, as they reference shipping from a Chinese warehouse.

Mike

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I’ve seen them in person. They look pretty but I don’t know how much confidence I’d put in it. I’ve had a 100% fail rate with anything made there for the car, all of which I got just to see if it’d work as a decent source for spares. It’s not. YMMV tho.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hope that's a pic of a pre-production prototype because it seems the mounting flanges are attached to the wrong face.

Otherwise, YMMV.

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
I was considering an aluminum one similar to that for my S-III, but wound up having my existing radiator re-cored to a more modern spec instead.

It was more expensive, but I was concerned about fitment of a generic replacement.
Turned out I did need to do a bit of fiddling with the mounting slots anyway.

Once I got everything back together, I've been happy.. it runs cooler than before and doesn't leak like my original did.

51959168987_12ac0c09ff_b.jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
To each his own....

But, I have hed and am still having excellent results (cooling especially) with the Copoper core replacements.

Price wise at $400 to $450 is a GREAT deal and NOT Chinese Commuist produced.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
So where do you get a copper recore and what does that mean? (if that's what's best).

I can still get a "recore" and pressure test for about a hundred bucks, at the only radiator shop still in existance near me.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Gerald's Raditor Shop in Anderson, SC does a great job for me.

I get 16 or 17 Fins per inch (FPI), three (3) tubes, all copper with modifications I design for the FORD 2.8 in the Sunbeam Alpine for $400 to $450. The all copper core fills the entire Alpine frame which will be near 3/4 " thicker than the stock core.

Gerald's is also one of the few "old time" shops left in my area too,

alpine_64

Donation Time
Advantages of the aluminum ones is they are a lot lighter and cool better than the stock rad.
But.. Probably not repairable.. And not aa good as copper

If you want a good quality aluminum one there is a race company in the UK that does early amd late series... They are about £700 iirc

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
"3/4" thicker than the stock core?" "entire Alpine frame?" What does that mean?
The copper core "fills up" the entire stock radiator frame, near flush withh the outside of the frame whwreas the stock core sits inside of the frame at least 1/4" front and back.

1/4" in front and 1/4" in the back adds up to 1/2" lost cooling area.

I suggest you take a look at a stock radiator and measure with a straighedge across the frame work and you will see what I am saying.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
a lot lighter and cool better than the stock rad.
But.. Probably not repairable.. And not aa good as copper

Michael we could discuss the merits of the differences but as you wrote above copper us better and reparable, not so with aluminum.

Search the charactics of the two metals, copper is a better, aluminum is cheaper.

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
And with aluminum, you MUST take care to prevent electrolysis! Water wetter works well. Also to add, those with the stock aluminum heads should heed this as well!

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Posted before and the facts have not changed:

It is true that aluminum does not conduct heat as well as pure copper. In round numbers and OTBE, the thermal conductivity of pure copper is about 400, the thermal conductivity of aluminum is about 200 and the thermal conductivity of brass (an alloy of copper and zinc) is about 100.

What matters in a conventional radiator cooling system is heat transfer from the metal of the radiator to the air and that has very little to do with the conductivity of the metal. Radiator surface area (tubes and fins) and air flow through the radiator are MUCH more important than the type of metal.

The bottom line is that there is not much (if any) difference in engine cooling performance between otherwise equal aluminum and copper radiators. There is, however, a BIG difference in both weight and cost; copper is over three times as heavy by volume as aluminum and over three times as expensive as aluminum. IMO, the only advantage of a copper radiator is "repairability."

There are tens of millions of cars with aluminum radiators, heads and/or engine blocks sold every year. Any decent "anti-freeze" will prevent electrolysis.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
What matters in a conventional radiator cooling system is heat transfer from the metal of the radiator to the air

That is why I prefer having my radiators built with a minium of 16 to17 fins per inch (FPI).

A stock Alpine radator had 9 FPI and most have only two tubes for transfering coolant. I perfer three tubes and Having the copper adds that additional disipation of heat.