• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alternators Make and Models?

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
:eek:
OK, yea I posted this on the stock side because my car has a stock engine, BUT yes a BUT. I need to know what make and model of alternators you guys and gals are using on your alpines that have been converted, generators gone bye bye. My new wiring harness is a GM make and has the two-wire set up, internal regulator, need a Vee Pulley, and from my search at least a 45+ amp output. I found the Datsun model some have used, but your using the old brackets, which I don't have, new brackets that are designed for a GM type alternator, any suggestions out there? I think I will have to do a parts store mercy help me to resolve this!

Donna
:D

Nickodell

Donation Time
I used a stock AC Delco, single-wire alternator when I first completed Matilda's restoration in 1984. I had to make the mounting bracket, as the mounting part of the Delco alt. is wider than the old Lucas one on my Series V. The bracket is quite easy to make for anyone with a MAPP or acetylene torch, using 1/4" thick x 1 1/2 wide mild steel strip obtainable from hardware stores. You'll also need a slightly longer belt.

They give 60 amps, which will power anything you are likely to install, and then some. The first one lasted some 17 years and was traded for a new (rebuilt) obne at Pep Boys for, as I recall, about $60

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Machine Shop

The bracket is quite easy to make for anyone with a MAPP or acetylene torch, using 1/4" thick x 1 1/2 wide mild steel strip obtainable from hardware stores.

For those of us that do not have the acetylene torch this is a horrible situation for I am at the mercy of someone to assist, yea for you guys that can make a mall out of a toothpick type of creative fabricators sure its easy. For the rest of us that cannot just order it out of a catalog it’s a pain in the :rolleyes:
I don't want to change out all the wiring its set up for a 2-wire GM type, my make shift brackets, restoration gurus made, they snapped like toothpicks. I now have a very nice bracket that is not compatible to me oversize GM monster alternator, which in my opinion was always part of the problem. So anyone else have a suggestion on make and model?

Donna

Jim E

Donation Time
Use the Datsun unit part number 14231 which should be good a good number at Advance or NAPA or most any parts house. This one is about a bolt in on a stock bracket and I have the wiring diagram to make it work. Takes three wires and a light.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Use the Datsun unit part number 14231 which should be good a good number at Advance or NAPA or most any parts house. This one is about a bolt in on a stock bracket and I have the wiring diagram to make it work. Takes three wires and a light.

(1) I do not have the original brackets, VB does not list them and Specialties has them as NLA
(2) I have a painless GM wiring harness not the Lucas Sunbeam original, so three wires and a light, no I have 2-wires one on the side clip and one out of the back of the alternator. Not changing the wiring, not an electrician.
(3) I have no doubt the Datsun alternator is the perfect replacement for a Sunbeam alternator from the original, but unfortunately mine has all new restored and was setup with out the generator-regulator set up.
Any more make and model suggestions?

Donna

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Donna, which alternator bracket do you have? I think I'd take it to a junkyard and do some trial fits. The JY I went to had a whole rack dedicated to alternators. Mitsubishi makes three wire alternators (output, exciter and light) in 65 and 45 amp sizes. They are smaller than the old GM alternator. The 45 is especially small, will go on about anything. Also, the new GM alternator is smaller than the old one.

If you find the correct alternator but it has the multigroove pulley, they will probably give you a vee pulley.

The junkyard is a good way to go if you don't know exactly what you need. That's what I did for my Pinto setup, ended up getting a 65 amp Mitsubishi. The nice thing is the price. I got the thing for less than the normal core price, so if it is a dud I've saved 5-10 bucks on a rebuilt!
Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Donna,

When I upgraded my generator to an alternator, I purchased a Bosch 60amp unit with a built-in regulator. It has only two connections, one to the battery and one to the ignition warning circuit. If you have a GM wiring harness it may be better to go for a Gm alternator, but even if you don't it would be easy enough to connect a different brand. Which ever way you go, make sure that parts are readily available.

Regards, Robin.

sharong

Donation Time
Donna,
Get a new alternator that fits your needs and is easy to replace. Then go over to your local High School or College auto shop and talk to the teacher. I have found there is always a student in need of a project and they can design and build you what you need for the cost of the materials. I have also found that our cars attract a lot of attention at the schools and just about everyone will fall over backwards to work on them.

If you make a good connection at the school auto shop they will make just about anything you need and all for the cost of materials. Smaller jobs are especially welcome as a student can take it on as a class project and complete it for credit. All the work is supervised by the teachers so it will be done correctly.

I learned about this resource when I started working for a school district 5 years ago and now all I do is get an idea and the shop makes it up in about a week, never more then 2 weeks for me, and I have had some crazy stuff made up in the shops, not just for the Sunbeam, but a lot of other projects.
Sharon

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Now that's a great ideal, may send Jim towards AG class tomorrow at Skiatook High School, I know they have a welding class, FFA is like a required class at this rural school.

howard

Donation Time
I had a problem locating a bracket on my generator. The old iron bracket decided after only 40 years it would snap like a pretzel in Ted Kennedy's breakfast. So I drew up a plan and took it to the local machine shop. They charged something like $30.00, and didn't get it right the first time, but ultimately the part I have from them will outlast me.

AlpineII

Donation Time
I also put in the Datsun alternator and we welded up a lower bracket. Went through the local junk yard and picked up a great upper adjustable curved bracket from a late 50's Pontiac that was just perfect. For whatever reason it all came together for me in a few hours, not like so many of the other projects! :eek:

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Parts Stores

:( Well we talked to the local part stores and unless we change the wiring over there is not a alternator that is smaller that would work on the bracket. So its back to the bracket to make it work. Tell enough people about your handicap and network enough then you will find that person to help you out. Found a co-worker that does welding as a hobby, side project so anyway going to get him to modify or make a new bracket that will work with my large GM alternator. This co-worker is the liaison between my design engineering department and our vendors so like duh I have worked with him on my projects that the vendor could not build. I want to think everyone on this forum for your ideals, help and advice, it takes a village to restore an Alpine!

Donna

Nickodell

Donation Time
Donna; making the bracket is the easy part. The tricky bit is getting the bolt holes in the exact places so that the pulley is lined up with the water pump so that the belt is in line. My first attempt was out by 1/4," which is enough to shred the belt in time.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
alt

This co-worker is the liaison between my design engineering department and our vendors so like duh I have worked with him on my projects that the vendor could not build. I want to think everyone on this forum for your ideals, help and advice, it takes a village to restore an Alpine!

Donna

Donna PM me or call me during the day 877 698 5624
chuck

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
My car had the generator, Lucas the Prince of Darkness was eradicated from my car with a GM wiring harness, I do not have the original brackets to even put a Lucas alternator back on the car, that's why its so difficult.

Donna

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Boy you guys sure are going through a lot. I bought the 280Z Hitachi alternator mentioned by number above. It was simple to attach. Then I needed a smaller alternator, so I bought the Hitachi RX7 one (sorry I don't have the number handy. I've posted it on here years ago. It's very close to the number above) It fit right onto the bracket with NO changes to anything.

This is on my SV with SV alternator mounting bracket.

To make the larger 280Z one fit, I just made to rectangular pieces about 3/4" x 2" with holes at each end. The alternator lined up perfectly when I bolted one of the pieces in front of both the alternator front mount and the mounting bracket front mount. On the rear, they were staggered and I had it like this: alternator back bracket, rectangular piece, mounting bracket back mount.

On the wiring (I got this straight from the 280Z wiring diagram), to make sure you get it right, the "L" goes to the light, the OTHER side of the light does NOT go to ground, but to keyed power. This is critical to make it work right. This charges the coils immediately, otherwise you'll need to blip the gas a bunch of times to get it charging. Then, of course, you eliminate ALL the light simulator and external VR.

The B goes to the battery side of the starter solenoid. The other wire, I forget what it's called, loops over to the B wire. That's it. That's exactly how the Z does it too.