• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

alternator

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Unless you are trying to maintain as "Factory Original" I recommend using a more modern alt , with built in reguator .

I recommend a Hitachi 14231 , as used on a 1980 Datsun 720 pickup w/ L4, 2.0 engine. It usually requires a mod to the mounting bracket to move the alt about a 1/2 in forward.

See this article for instructions. But note that the alternator is shown in the wrong place schematically . It should be right after the battery (actually right after the Solenoid)

http://www.team.net/www/rootes/sunbe...s/altconv.html

If you need more help converting the wiring I have written up a more detailed instructions I can share.

Tom

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
Spal dual fans w/ hitachi 14231 alternator

Team,
Just completed the upgrade to the Hitachi 14231 35A alternator. Quite simple works like a charm. Made a new adjuster arm and modified the mounting bracket on the engine with slots. Even used the factory standoff on the pivot end of the adjuster arm. Used the XL7370 belt.

Also installed dual SPAL 9" puller fans. All wired up and work perfectly. I will caution that you must modify the fan guards in order to clear the water pump pulley.

The caveat:
The output current of the alternator is not enough to drive both fans running simultaneously.

Does anyone know of a larger output (60A) alternator in the same frame size as the Hitachi 14231 (23100-B9810).

Thanks,

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Team,

The caveat:
The output current of the alternator is not enough to drive both fans running simultaneously.

Does anyone know of a larger output (60A) alternator in the same frame size as the Hitachi 14231 (23100-B9810).

Thanks,

Don't have dual fans but then I use the 70 amp Delco.Also very easy to make up an adjusting arm and or mounting bracket.

RootesRacer

Donation Time

Thanks,

Your problem is not going to be easy to solve because the alternator output is low at low speed. Going to a 50 or 70 amp alternator may still not yield enough current at idle to power your fans.

If I were you I'd do a couple of things.
1) Put separate thermostats on each fan and make them progressive.
This way you will idle with the lower one one normally.

2) I'd keep the alternator you have and install a smaller pulley.
This will increase the current available at idle.

There are some nice alternators from denso and clones for tractors that go up to 60 amps. These are actually smaller than the 70s vintage hitachi unit, but they also will not output the full current at such a low RPM.

The denso alternator I installed came with a report which showed the output current from 1000 to 10000 RPM (at the alternator).
It didnt have but 10 amps at its lowest RPM point, this would be around 400 crank RPM I figure. IIRC It didnt hit its current limit till around 2500 crank RPM, which in my case was about 55 amps (50 amp model).

RootesRacer

Donation Time
is there a one wire type this size?

If you are asking me, yes there are mini denso 1 wire alternators.

I recommend doing the 2 or 3 wires though because the 1 wire have to have the alternator spin at a minimum speed before it generates enough voltage for the internal regulator to function.

The 2 and 3 wire powers the regulator off the ignition switch and the 3 wire gives you back your warning light.

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
Guys,
As usual great input. I would agree that the alternator output will vary with speed. I would have to see the power curves to determine the actual output. It is a tough nut though. We actually need the maximum fan output at idle. I cant remember ever seeing evelated temps when driving over 30mph.

Rootes,
Do you have the Delco part number?

Thanks,

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Rootes,
Do you have the Delco part number?

Thanks,

Its NOT a delco, its a denso (nippon denso).

As for the alternator its a Lester 12180SEN interchange.
A lester 12180N is the same but without the self energizing attribute.

Multiple mfgrs make them now and if you look up "mini alternator" on ebay motors, you can find a bunch with varied outputs and prices.

Here is my thread after I installed one in my SII.
Data and facts are towards the bottom.
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/archive/index.php?t-14702.html

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks I will check the part numbers for this smaller alt. I have used a one wire Delco for 30 + years and have had good luck with it, hope the denso works as good?:cool:

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
Just a note, this thread should be in the modified section......agreed?

Here is my update.
To clarify i am using dual spal 9" puller fans mounted between the radiator and the waterpump pulley. The temp sender is a Derale probe type that pushes through the radiator fins. Its a 185° type.

As I noted, the new Hitachi 14231 alternator is not capable of running both fans at once. Especially at idle when you really need it. So I ran some test. The probe temp sender actually closes at 185°F. I only connected the left side fan. Let the car idle. Sure enough the fan came on at about 90°C on the temp dash gauge. I test drove the car yesterday here in Temecula, about 85° ambient. At this point it seems that a single fan will maintain a temp at about 90°C on the temp gauge. Therefore a Hitachi 14231 alternator with one Spal 9" fan is sufficient. I will keep posting as it get hotter and i have running time.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Just a note, this thread should be in the modified section......agreed?

I guess that depends on what "modified" means.

If an alternator replaces a stock alternator in an otherwise stock application, thats not really a modification. Putting electric fans on however would be.

The OP was looking for an alternator and the thread did as threads do and took on a mind of its own. I dont think thats a huge deal, if it is then you can be sure that a moderator will move it and that will be that.

In any case, posting uprated or newly available non-original components doesnt seem inappropriate (to me anyway) even if in the stock section.

I think the greater beefs relate to when people running non-original drivetrains ETC are posting in the stock section looking for a T5 or magic MII bellhousing.

YMMV