• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alternator question

Acollin

Donation Time
Series V 1966

Probably for as long as I've owned my car, at start up, I would hear the telltale rattle of what I thought was an alternator going bad. Once the car warmed up the sound would go away and charging was not a problem. I assumed the alternator would eventually fail and I would replace it.

I read the strings-- no Lucas replacements-- how to refit an hitachi , etc and thought , this year, I should do something about it.

Well, I found the belt to be loose--- tightened it to a good adjustment and the rattle disappeared.

Does this mean I simply needed to adjust my belt or that with the tighter belt I am masking the rattle as there is now more tension on the soon to fail bearings and I will soon need to replace my alternator. My belt is not over tight now-- but simply a good adjustment.

As long as the " rocks in the tin can" sound is quieted and the charging system is working, I am a happy camper.

Please advise

I guess this is my season for electrical questions.

Be well all
Andrew

mikephillips

Donation Time
Try removing the belt and spinning the pulley by hand. If you can feel anything like a grinding then you have bearing issue since it ought to spin freely and smoothly. I would guess you'll find some amount of that since a loose belt doesn't normally result in those type noises, but instead would squeal when hitting the gas or slight smells from the belt slipping or fluctuating charging.

65beam

Donation Time
question

If your car is a series 5 and has the original alternator there is another problem that can cause noise. The fan blades and the pulley are a two piece unit. The shaft has a key pressed in it in the same manner as the rear axle. The fan is sheet metal and has a slot that sets over the key and the pulley pushes on to hold the fan in place using the large nut. Being sheet metal I have found the slot or notch for lack of better words wears and the fan can hit the alternator housing. I went as far as cutting a new notch in the fan housing many years ago.

65beam

Donation Time
question

THINK ALTERNATOR! Many years ago we had one of the alternator fans get so loose that it was scoring the housing where it hit. That was a long 125 miles home.

Acollin

Donation Time
There is a great picture in the wsm that should go along with 65 beams point.
Sections N ---- p23

I will Investigate tomorrow.

Questions:

If the woodruff key is broken or missing, would simply tightening the fan belt stop the rattling sound of the alternator fan blade rattling?

If the woodruff is gone/ broken, how difficult would it be to simply replace the woodruff key assuming the slot for the key is still in good shape?

Thanks --- all is quiet in the engine bay for now--- the last 50 miles or so!!!!
Andrew

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I would say if broken, tightening could solve the noise, atleast temporarily.

If the key is missing, tightening could hold the pulley in place for a while but eventually it would or should start slipping.

My 20 mills worth,

DanR