• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine vs Tiger Dash

V_Mad

Donation Time
I have seen a veneered Alpine dash advertised which, like the Tiger ones is full width and has a hole for the cubby box rather than the bakelite moulding.

I always assumed that all series Alpines had the short (veneered on GT) dash, but can anyone tell me if any Alpines had the same dash as the Tiger?

Another question: My Tiger dash is wood based, but my late series Alpine is Bakelite. Were there any of the Alpine series dashes made entirely of wood?

Wombat

Donation Time
Chris

Series III and early Series IV GTs had the full width dashboard with the hole for the cubby box you describe. Series IV GTs from B94100352 had the shorter dash with the bakelite surround for the cubby box.

The book does not explicitly say what they are made of, but I am guessing the longer dash would be wooden and the shorter a wodgrain finished bakelite. The early dashboards have the switch labels in the finish of the dash, the later uses the same tags as the black vinyl covered dash in the sports.

V_Mad

Donation Time
Thanks for the info Robert. Until now I had always assumed all full width wood dashes were Tiger ones.

I am now wondering if later model Tigers (Mk1A and Mk2) followed the late series Alpine route of having short dashboards?