• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine slot car

sunbeammadd

Donation Time
With my son showing all the signs of being as much of a petrolhead as me, I've been rediscovering my boyhood love of slot cars. Oliver's still a bit young to let loose with a good slot car set but it hasn't stopped me idly browsing websites on the subject, poking around in hobby shops and forming ideas for the permanent layout that I always wanted to build as a kid and never got around to. The hard part might be convincing Mrs M why we need a slot car layout in the house! Can't really put it in the garage as that's full of full size cars and the paraphernalia that goes with them.

Anyway, enough rambling. After eyeing them off for a while this week I ordered a Highway32 Imp and a Stiletto - both in kit form so I can have the fun of building them the way I want them.

Possibly of more interest to the forum is that the makers sent me pics of their newly released Alpine model. Looks very tasty in these photos.

retro-slot-sunbeam-alpine-slot-car-kit-01.jpg

retro-slot-sunbeam-alpine-slot-car-kit-03.jpg

britbeam

Donation Time
Real nice. Who manufactures the Alpine slot car and will it operate on the USA electrical system?
Thanks
Dwain V6 Krazy

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Looks like the old Revell Alpine slot car from the 60's - maybe they purchased the moulds?

sunbeammadd

Donation Time
I was just thinking after posting this that Scott may well be onto something there. The Rapier they sell looks remarkably like the old Airfix Rapier kit, so maybe they're in the business of buying up obsolete moulds.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Guys,

Ocar also have some Sunbeam models and are seen on Ebay alot. They have a rally Sunbeam Tiger and the Sunbeam Talbot Lotus, plus plenty of other great classics. Have a look at www.worldclassics.co.uk

They are not too pricey either :) .

Regards, Robin.

sunbeammadd

Donation Time
Took delivery of my Retro Slot Alpine kit this week. Here are the photos.

It looks great. My only criticism is there's something not quite right about the area around the top of the grille and the leading edge of the bonnet. You can't really tell though until you hold the car in your hand and look up close. Still, I'm happy as Larry with it.

As it's LHD I'll have to brush up on US racing Alpines to find a suitable livery.

Then I'll have to buy one of their other sports car kits to give it something to race against!:D

1765139723_db1af28235.jpg

1765137601_74e560eedf.jpg

1765983486_091238ca53.jpg

sunbeammadd

Donation Time
I've gone a bit mad over the last few months:

Highway32 Rapier - unfortunately this was one of the last kits left. I didn't ask if they're making another run. I suppose if there was enough demand maybe.

1765985930_944c898a8e.jpg

sunbeammadd

Donation Time
Still on my shopping list are Ocar's works rally Tiger and their forthcoming Le Mans Tiger!

Sadly Onethirtysecond aren't going to make any more of their Avenger or Hunter slot car shells so I don't like my chances of getting hold of one of those.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Some years ago somebody made up the Sports Car Forum Alpine and Tiger as slot cars. I bought the Alpine and remember the Tiger went for a good bit of money on Ebay.

P20.jpg

I always throught it would be nice to make up the Sports Car Forum Series I or better yet the Hollywood Sport Car Alpine in that electric blue paint job.

Steve

Jim E

Donation Time
What scale is this? Thinking it would be a hoot to have slot car races be part of the Invasion.... of course we may end up racing the little buggers all night instead of working on cars... I know some cities have tracks or clubs you can pay to run at or rent for an event. Then the logistics may be jsst to much to pull this off.

gordonra

Donation Time
What scale is this? Thinking it would be a hoot to have slot car races be part of the Invasion.... of course we may end up racing the little buggers all night instead of working on cars... I know some cities have tracks or clubs you can pay to run at or rent for an event. Then the logistics may be jsst to much to pull this off.

The guy that runs our local movie rental store is really into slot car racing. He related to me that there are many tracks that are set up so that you can go in, rent a car for a very reasonable price, and race it on their track.

These cars are incredibly light and fast! All the owners will customize to improve performance, but the weight is evidently controlled by the racing authority. They do all they can to improve traction, braking, and aerodynamics.

The video guy was trying to design and create some new, stronger, easier to assemble chassiss and sell them as part of another business he has going. For this class of slot car, the chassis is made of nickel-plated titanium and is little more than a skeliton. I offered, and did some 3D solid modeling for him on the chassis, but he couldn't get me the kind of dimension specs necessary to fully engineer the chassis.