• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine Series IV Tool Kit for sale

Redcat15

Donation Time
It has been tucked away for 25 years. Dad and I checked it against the parts catalog, but he knew what was in it anyway. King Dick, Persimmon driver, hubcap pry, 4 wrenches (Have 2 spares, 1 got in pictures), pliers, spark plug wrench, 2 feeler gauges, and I believe is a Schrader valve wrench. The roll with ties.

Please give me an honest appraisal. I went to a Sunbeam meeting at Sunbeam Specialties in 1990. Had several people trying to buy it. One person wanted my spare driver, telling me he didn't have one. Nope, he wanted a spare he could chrome.

I do have some other items as I am able to find them. Looking for good advise about pricing, including my Series V.

Attachments

• IMG_2754.JPG
    IMG_2754.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2755.JPG
    IMG_2755.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2756.JPG
    IMG_2756.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2757.JPG
    IMG_2757.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 25

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Alpine prices have always been affordable. Part of the attraction. It's the commoraderie that keeps em on the road. I'll give ya $50 for that old tool pouch, if it's an original. Newer repro are more functional.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Like anything old, it is worth what someone wants to pay. It has been a while since I have seen a complete one on eBay, but if my memory serves correctly (always a dangerous way to begin a sentence at my age and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong), I think they have been going in the $300-400 range. That is a funny (often frustrating) thing about Alpine parts: Anything that is also correct for a Tiger is worth far more money and Alpine and Tiger tool kits are basically the same.

This article might help you: http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?categoryid=82&p2_articleid=8

alpine_64

Donation Time
A closeup of the tool roll and the straps ( and where they are attached to the back of the roll would help. If its the original roll in good condition id say wothout the tools $170+ at least.

Redcat15

Donation Time
A Look at the Tool roll

Here is a look at the roll front and back. Would like to keep the set together, but will part out if must.

Yes my Series V will go down in price, but I had to start somewhere. I know I haven't been on this forum in forever, but I've owned my Alpine for 30 years. It was a daily driver for 15 in San Diego, Sacramento, and Baton Rouge. My dad brought home his Series IV when we were stationed in U.K. with the Navy. He picked it up from the factory in Coventry. 11 years ago I lost my legs in a tractor accident, so my days of crawling under my Alpine with a Mini-Maglite in my teeth are over. Though I've gotten good enough I do it with my Honda.

Help me with your advise and I'll set some fair prices.

Robert

Attachments

• IMG_2758.JPG
    IMG_2758.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2759.JPG
    IMG_2759.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 32

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'd list it all together on e-bay with a starting bid of $400. You don't see any complete original kits; even the alloy hammer looks in good condition.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
I would sell them together, as correct for a "Tiger," but others here might have a more informed opinion. Those tools can be found. That pouch is not so easy to find. 20 or so Tigers for sale on e-bay right now, maybe average $60,000 asking price. I bet very few of them, if any, have the original tool kit, that, in my opinion, would be a plus to potential buyers.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I suggest selling it as an Alpine tool kit with original roll. However, this is not 'correct' for Tiger.

Some tools are common but the 'Z' Tommy bar and spark plug socket are Tiger-specific and command big bucks for just those two tools. A matching 'Z' Tommy bar and socket in nice condition will bring $1800-$2000!

Mark ..... volvoguys

65beam

Donation Time
tool kit

Photos of an all original Tiger kit that I bought from Doug at Tiger Auto. This was in the first Tiger he bought in the 60's.

Attachments

• 107_1150.jpg
    107_1150.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 107_1153.jpg
    107_1153.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 28

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I suggest selling it as an Alpine tool kit with original roll. However, this is not 'correct' for Tiger.

Some tools are common but the 'Z' Tommy bar and spark plug socket are Tiger-specific and command big bucks for just those two tools. A matching 'Z' Tommy bar and socket in nice condition will bring $1800-$2000!

Mark ..... volvoguys

I highly doubt that.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Paul,
It happened on the U.K. E bay a couple years ago so it's possible. The most I ever sold a complete Tiger kit for was $2500.00.

Ebay is not a good valuation tool. Seems many want to value their stuff at the highest price ever paid on eBay. I wish. I don't think anyone is ever going to pay over $200 for 4 oval rubber bottom door plugs again, but it happened once on eBay. Give it another 20 years and it may.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yer right! eBay is a fickle lady and isn't the place to establish a part's actual value.

However, having peddled Alpine/Tiger bits for a few decades I can assure that the Tiger-specific 'Z' Tommy bar and spark plug socket are in short supply and high demand. There's a guy currently 3D printing them and from what I understand they're a respectable repro.

Having said that, I am willing to pay $1000 to anyone who has an original pair in very nice condition. Hell, at $1K/pr, I'll buy all you have.

Paul, got any that you're willing to publicly pony up and call my bluff?

Rgds, Mark ..... volvoguys

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I don't do the "pony" thing

Short supply maybe, high demand only at the right price. I don't know what bluff your calling. I don't have any tools I'm willing to part with. I'd rather have the part than the cash. So the "never to be practically used" spark plug wrenches I have will stay with the kits I have.

Thinking of selling my Alpine for another project. I'll throw one in with the sale of my Alpine as a bonus. $23,000.

65beam

Donation Time
tools

The selling price of items on E Bay does enter into the equation when you have insurance on your parts. Just like the value of your car is based on an average of current selling price the same holds true for the parts and related items such as original tools. Where else would you go to come up with documentation of what parts sell for? Homeowners insurance doesn't cover car parts. With the number of NOS items that we have along with all the new parts we stock we have an addition to our policy with Hagerty that covers our parts up to 20K. I do have a complete inventory of what we have and on the advise of our agent, I have copies of E Bay transactions showing what I've sold and bought over the years plus files with receipts for all parts bought from parts suppliers. E Bay does count.