• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine ring gear bolts.

wile coyote

Donation Time
The V6 is running great. loads of fun. decided to redo the rear end, mainly due to leaking seals. The ring gear/pinion look fine, but the original 8 ring gear bolts were getting ready to give it up. 2 were broken off in the ring gear and the other 6 were slightly loose. the loose ones had worn threads. The ring gear threads look and feel fine with a new bolt threaded in. I have a couple hundred miles on the conversion, so I don't know if the problem was present before the conversion or not.
I am looking for the Grade 8 bolts to replace the original. The original have a short 1/4" shoulder and short threads. Fastenal cannot locate any. Does anyone have a source for these?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
No personal experience with a Series Alpine third member, but I have an excellent local source of high end fasteners.

Other than Grade 8, what are the fastener requirements?

Size & thread
Under head length (min. / max.) *
Shoulder length (min. / max.) *

* Allow for thickness of hardened washer​

Last edited:

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I think I remember years ago that I found a comparative bolt. It was an AN aircraft bolt.
Jan

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
The V6 is running great. loads of fun. decided to redo the rear end, mainly due to leaking seals. The ring gear/pinion look fine, but the original 8 ring gear bolts were getting ready to give it up. 2 were broken off in the ring gear and the other 6 were slightly loose. the loose ones had worn threads. The ring gear threads look and feel fine with a new bolt threaded in. I have a couple hundred miles on the conversion, so I don't know if the problem was present before the conversion or not.
I am looking for the Grade 8 bolts to replace the original. The original have a short 1/4" shoulder and short threads. Fastenal cannot locate any. Does anyone have a source for these?
Some years ago Dale at Dales rests told me to go to an aviation supply house and get shouldered bolts

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
You can probably get a AN or NAS bolt that will do the job also Mc Master Carr.Com has a vast selection of grade 8 stuff would be my choice before Fastensal ND Hardware for AN stuff look on the net.

wile coyote

Donation Time
The bolt is 11/16” long. 1/4” shoulder. I’ve worked with aviation hardware a good bit. AN6-5 should work for size, but the tensile strength is not quite as high as Grade 8. Not sure if it makes a difference or not.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The bolt is 11/16” long. 1/4” shoulder. I’ve worked with aviation hardware a good bit. AN6-5 should work for size, but the tensile strength is not quite as high as Grade 8. Not sure if it makes a difference or not.

What really makes a difference is the thread size and pitch which you have not specified.

wile coyote

Donation Time
Bolts located. 3/8x 1.5" nf grade 8 by a local supplier had 1/4" shoulder vs another supplier whose bolts had a 3/8 or 1/2" shoulder. Took the previous and cut them to size.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm gonna need a set as well, since I am re-doing my rear this winter. Where did you get them? And can I buy a set from you?

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Bolts located. 3/8x 1.5" nf grade 8 by a local supplier had 1/4" shoulder vs another supplier whose bolts had a 3/8 or 1/2" shoulder. Took the previous and cut them to size.
There ya go I myself would have gone that route, as I said McMaster Carr.