• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine Kids

GTolbert

Donation Time
We started Kids & Cars tour around our Kids Clubs in Spartanburg, SC this week. Took my V out, shared some pics of how it was pre-restoration, shared the story about how it was found and did some quick math to get its age. We then buddied up and went out to see it. They were surprised! Showed the trunk, engine, and everyone got a turn sitting inside. Cranked her up and drove off… 30 minutes or so. Great result.

Attachments

• IMG_2802.jpeg
    IMG_2802.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2799.jpeg
    IMG_2799.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2796.jpeg
    IMG_2796.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2789.jpeg
    IMG_2789.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2823.jpeg
    IMG_2823.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
A couple of hours ago I took my grandson to his School Prom in the Alpine. One of the parents called out to me "The best car I've seen all evening" which was quite a complement as there was at least one Lamborghini.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
A friend of a relative has 3 teenage boys.

The youngest boy wants a Car to WORK on, the other 2 brothers couldn't care less about cars....

Needless to say, I'm going to do My part to see HE gets a car!

I suggested the first thing to do is have a chat with their

favorite car insurance person.

An Alpine is not a Tiger, but it's still a sports car, Right?

It should be interesting to see what different Old cars command

as far as Car insurance, for a young driver.

DW

Last edited:

GTolbert

Donation Time
Do it! Big heart! Not sure how classic car insurance works for younger drivers. American Modern Ins is far less expensive than others.

With Dad’s car craziness we always had cool stuff. I was coming of car age in 1984. ZZ Topp was hot with their 34 Ford Coupe and ladies in short skirts climbing out suicide doors. In our back yard was a 40 Ford Deluxe Coupe freshly painted in candy apple red and a beat dark blue 1965 Porsche 356C. He offered me a choice, he’d find and restore a 34 Ford or the Porsche. I chose the latter. It turned red like all Dad’s cars. It was so sweet.

I was too young and inexperienced to have an old car, especially a newly restored one. It was a cathartic event when i had my first fender bender. Then i scrapped it on Dad’s work truck backing out of the garage. A lady also bumped me in the back at a stop sign, no damage. Dad fixed it all and sold it to a guy who was sending those old tubs back to Germany. My second car should have been my first, a 1972 Yellow Beetle. Not a nice one either, I became an old car driver in that car. i would help the lad get into his “72 Beetle”. Then, watch him, stick with him and give him an Alpine when he is ready. The Alpine brakes are its biggest weakness to me. It was those early disc brakes that helped me bump up the 356. Good luck and have fun. Here’s a pic of my second Porsche sitting beside what my first one looked like. It only took 30 years to get back. IMG_2484.jpeg