• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine for sale in Seattle

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have over 50 years of purchasing automobiles from a hideous 1956 Hudson to a glorious 1963 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud , as well as, every Series of the Alpine along with a Tiger. I have found my price range to run from $100 (my first vehicle a 1935 Dodge pickup and more recently the front half of a Series III with engine and running gear) to 10s of thousands of dollars. A recent thread about value has previously discussed the various aspects that establish pricing. The good news is, virtually all owners come up with a price for the car they have. Ken, you obviously are still finding your way around the pricing process and maybe the continued use of this forum will assist you to understand a seller's sentimental attachment does not have market value. Good luck as you move forward on selling your family's, owned for 47 years, Series II. http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20929

Cheers,
Jerry

Dillon65

Donation Time
I went and looked at these cars turkey day morning when advertised as 1965. Only one car is for sale. White car has great floors and trunk and rocker panel are solid with no rust. Could not see under car. Weeds too tall. Bottom of left front fender needs lower patch. Somebody cut it away. Inner structure is solid. Very little interior. Has drive train. Do not know year of car. I am working on a 1965 and looking for a driver's side rocker panel assy. This body was in too decent of shape. The other car is very rusty, but has most of the interior and the aluminum hardtop. Very interesting gentleman. Mid 80's and still tinkering with old 50's race cars. Has some beautiful cars. A few Allards, Lotus 11, Lotus 9, a Berkeley land speed holder, and a few OSCA's. Just chatting with him was worth the trip.

beamcat

Donation Time
I have over 50 years of purchasing automobiles from a hideous 1956 Hudson to a glorious 1963 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud , as well as, every Series of the Alpine along with a Tiger. I have found my price range to run from $100 (my first vehicle a 1935 Dodge pickup and more recently the front half of a Series III with engine and running gear) to 10s of thousands of dollars. A recent thread about value has previously discussed the various aspects that establish pricing. The good news is, virtually all owners come up with a price for the car they have. Ken, you obviously are still finding your way around the pricing process and maybe the continued use of this forum will assist you to understand a seller's sentimental attachment does not have market value. Good luck as you move forward on selling your family's, owned for 47 years, Series II. http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20929

Cheers,
Jerry

I wasn't trying to impeach your keen apprecation for autos, Jerry.

Just trying to match you up with a car in your desired price range. :rolleyes:

Dillon65

Donation Time
Yes, Thanks for the reply. I need the complete rocker panel and inner supports. Body is in good shape except for this damage. Time to get it repaired. The driver's side rocker area was hit right where the bottom of the fender and the rocker panel join. It buckled the floor, so once I disassemble the panel, I should be able to pull the floor panel straight. I was tempted to disassemble the panel, hammer them back in shape and re-weld them in, but if I find a good replacement metal, I'll go that way.

Marshall

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ken, the point of my comment is that you didn't and obviously still don't know what my price range might be. For the Series II you were trying to sell I placed the value at $1500 give or take $500. This of course was based on your description. It has rusty floors - a transmission that needs rebuilt - a rear end with a bad bearing - brakes that need attention -seats that need redone and numerous other aspects that would require a complete restoration. You were unable to establish your own price for me or the potential buyer I sent your way. Leave it all at that. This forum is not the place to air your frustration.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Marshall, I will check the salvage car I have tomorrow at the point of damage you described and get back with you. I know I have the outer panel.

Cheers,
Jerry

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I queried a local friend, Alpine owner and former vintage racer on this. The "Berkley land speed holder" was the key. The seller and his wife (hopefully still with us) are retired doctors and vintage racers. They helped establish the long-standing link between the local vintage group, SOVREN, and Seattle Children's Hospital. July's Historic Races at Pacific Raceways raised $470,000 for the hospital. He also used to own a Mark Alpine with a 327.

I went and looked at these cars turkey day morning when advertised as 1965. Only one car is for sale. White car has great floors and trunk and rocker panel are solid with no rust. Could not see under car. Weeds too tall. Bottom of left front fender needs lower patch. Somebody cut it away. Inner structure is solid. Very little interior. Has drive train. Do not know year of car. I am working on a 1965 and looking for a driver's side rocker panel assy. This body was in too decent of shape. The other car is very rusty, but has most of the interior and the aluminum hardtop. Very interesting gentleman. Mid 80's and still tinkering with old 50's race cars. Has some beautiful cars. A few Allards, Lotus 11, Lotus 9, a Berkeley land speed holder, and a few OSCA's. Just chatting with him was worth the trip.

Dillon65

Donation Time
Heres a shot of John, the gentleman selling the sunbeam on the Seattle craigslist. He loves to discuss his cars and the history. To his left, in the background is the front fender (blue) of the little Berkely. This gentleman used to visit the salt flats and Laguna Seca on a regular basis. Once he is done with an OSCA MT-4 project, he wants to restore the sunbeam that is rusty.

Marshall

Dillon65

Donation Time
Sorry, I thought the picture uploaded before I sent it. It's too large. 19.5 kb is the largest allowed. If anybody would like the pictures (2), I can send text or email.

Marshall

beamcat

Donation Time
Ken, the point of my comment is that you didn't and obviously still don't know what my price range might be. For the Series II you were trying to sell I placed the value at $1500 give or take $500. This of course was based on your description. It has rusty floors - a transmission that needs rebuilt - a rear end with a bad bearing - brakes that need attention -seats that need redone and numerous other aspects that would require a complete restoration. You were unable to establish your own price for me or the potential buyer I sent your way. Leave it all at that. This forum is not the place to air your frustration.

Jerry, anything that transpires between me and any other potential buyers is none of your business. Clearly, you buy cars in any condition, cobble any parts you may have into them, and roll them out into your used car lot. I'm guessing you will do better with your asking prices when you can also have EZ financing.

Regardless, your description of my vehicle is inaccurate due to your memory, nothing I can do about that. However, that car is within your price range. If you would like, I can help you load it on your trailer next time your on the west side. If my fuel pump rebuild kit arrives in time, I can even drive my Sunbeam over to help you, killing two birds with one stone!

No question that my pride stops me from selling such an original car to you for the paltry sum of $1,500; but it would seem that an 80yo chap such as this seller has no emotional investment in the vehicle he now offers, so 1k must be a square deal, huh?

Let me know, I have a few days off this week! :D

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Prediction - Ken you began this public exchange and you will be the one to end it. Hopefully, you are gracious enough to apologize.

You come on this site to sell your relic of a family heirloom. Then you get into a word battle within 3 weeks. It is clear what type of reputation you are establishing. I would suggest another approach.

As one who has a doctorate degree and is very capable at taking notes or remembering numerous aspects to a conversation. The comments I wrote are accurate. I sent you the buyer as you readily agreed. The potential buyer's take on your car verified my understandings.

Again, you display yourself as one who consistently makes assumptions with the comment about my being a car lot owner. I'm a retired professor that now runs a wildland firefighting business with my son. I haven't sold a car in years. I have bought several cars and will continue to develop my collection.

Your comments stand alone in the auto collector community.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
What a small collector car community we have. I met the 1965 Alpine seller at the Maryhill Museum meet when he and his wife approached me while I was displaying my Harrington Le Mans. They both were very excited. They stepped forward and stated, "That is it, that is the one." I inquired and they both stated my Le Mans was the very one they saw at the New York International Auto show in March of 1962. They had just gotten engaged and her father said he would give them a brand new car for their wedding present. This Harrington Le Mans was the car they wanted! When she called her Indiana father to tell him they had found the car, he asked, "What is it." With glee, she replied, "A Harrington Le Mans." In a deep Midwest tone he grumbled, "What is that." "It is a cute little British car Daddy" Her father with great indignity stated, "No, you must buy American." They drove away in a F85 Oldsmobile. Both lamented about the moment in their lives and then commented on how they were fortunate to acquire several other cars to make up for it over the years.

Yes, they have been great folks to the Seattle community and to the collector/vintage racing enthusiasts.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Marshall I checked the salvage car and it appears I have what you need. I will PM you with my email so I can send photos to you.

Cheers,
Jerry

beamcat

Donation Time
Prediction - Ken you began this public exchange and you will be the one to end it. Hopefully, you are gracious enough to apologize.

You come on this site to sell your relic of a family heirloom. Then you get into a word battle within 3 weeks. It is clear what type of reputation you are establishing. I would suggest another approach.

As one who has a doctorate degree and is very capable at taking notes or remembering numerous aspects to a conversation. The comments I wrote are accurate. I sent you the buyer as you readily agreed. The potential buyer's take on your car verified my understandings.

Again, you display yourself as one who consistently makes assumptions with the comment about my being a car lot owner. I'm a retired professor that now runs a wildland firefighting business with my son. I haven't sold a car in years. I have bought several cars and will continue to develop my collection.

Your comments stand alone in the auto collector community.

Wow!

Preserved for posterity.

I'll post a picture of my brakes for you to test your memory against. :p

attachment.php

Ok, Doc; Under 10k since rebuild and never seen rain.

One question remains:

If you cannot be relied upon to accurately represent the car I have for sale, when you claim to know all the details, how could I ever rely on you to accurately represent a car that you have for sale? :)

Last edited:

DavidHodges11

Donation Time
Hello all I looked at Kens car and we came to a number on what I feel is a fare price on the car providing he gets it running and driving. I told him that my finances were not there yet and first come first serve. There is allot of car for the money and should not be taken apart in my humble opinion. This other car that we are talking about here well I felt even in the pics it was a lot of gathering for my dollar. To Ken still interested but I understand cash is king and I am sure you remember my advice on how to market it.

That being said I have talked to both you gentlemen and you are both I feel good men.