• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine auction result

bing

Donation Time
Sports Car Market reports that a "66 Alpine in # 3- condition sold for $16,500 at the Worldwide Auction in Texas recently. This is considerably higher than their projected value of $10,000 for a car in # 2 condition.

bing

Donation Time
Yes, it looks to be the same car, with VERY different descriptions of the condition. Sports Car Market wrote, "rare little car with lots of needs. Appears to have a quickie paint job with no attention paid to chrome or trim. Lots of pitting on door handles and other outside bits. Original interior in good condition. Much wear on driver's seat... Average engine bay." So the question is, did the buyer over pay?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Short answer. Yes.

Jose

Yes, it looks to be the same car, with VERY different descriptions of the condition. Sports Car Market wrote, "rare little car with lots of needs. Appears to have a quickie paint job with no attention paid to chrome or trim. Lots of pitting on door handles and other outside bits. Original interior in good condition. Much wear on driver's seat... Average engine bay." So the question is, did the buyer over pay?

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
When you make something look nice, skillfully describe it's rarity, place it for sale in a reputable setting and then put a high enough price tag on it to make the whole thing look convincing, you will see someone think they got the deal of the century because they paid so much less than it was selling for!

It's looks great and I'm sure it'll put a smile on your face when driving it but I'll bet the seller has the bigger grin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I guess its all comparative. USA alpine prices have always been low. undervalued IMHO. Over here that car as a RHD would get that money without to much effort.

I guess the real important thing on this car is how good the body is under the fresh paint..? and what it's like on the underside of the car?

If it's a straight, rust free car.. and is mechanically sound.. its still a lot cheaper than rebuilding one. You could replace all the goofy screw fixed interior panels with correctly clip mounted new ones, tidy up odds and ends and have a presentable enjoyable car ready to drive in no short time.

Lets just hope that's the case.. if the new paint is hiding nasties.. then the buyer has made a mistake.. if the car is actually overall sound and useable.. while not cheap.. its ready to use and with a little work will give the owner many happy miles.. lets hope that's the case :eek:

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
True Michael.

A couple Cars & Coffee's ago there was a guy explaining to another that to him, he had got a good buy on a non-stock Mini Cooper that had been refreshed with new paint, interior and fittings. It looked alright, not even close to original. He paid $14k for it but he knew the seller had over $20k in it. In that sense it was a good buy to him.

65beam

Donation Time
result

if you take a close look at the doors you will see that they do not fit very well. the door gaps are tight in some areas and the doors look to be in at the top. that may be due to some body problems such as repair panels not properly installed. the front bumper is high on the right side. it may have a bend in it or there could be a bend in the frame rail. it's hard to tell from photos but if the interior condition is an indication of the quality of work there may be a lot of hidden body problems.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
It's the forest and trees thing. If you own an Alpine, you own the coolest car on the planet. An Alpine with original running gear that works is worth more than the lower end brand new cars and that certainly holds true as depreciation takes hold of a newer car. The guy that designed the Alpine was a genius. And to boot, it's one of the most well built cars of it's day. If you can drive an Alpine and have fun, what else is there. If this guy paid a few dollars more, who cares. Enjoy.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Overall its a nice looking Alpine, but there's soooo many little things wrong or worn.

I'm raising the insured value of my SV ASAP.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
It's always fun to resurrect an old thread, but a car I believe is this same car showed up on eBay in a no reserve auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291168606118?item=291168606118&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

It's also listed at the seller's site for... $37,500!:

http://blog.driversource.com/inventory/cars-for-sale

(Direct link to the car: http://driver-source.ebizautos.com/detail-1966-sunbeam-alpine-v-used-10464464.html)

Nearest I can figure, the car must have $30,000 worth of drugs hidden in the boot.

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
This is a car that was for sale in the mid teens? I am guessing someone purchased the car based on the NADA price guide hoping to make a quick profit.

Looking at the front lower fender the shape appear to be wrong? Hard to tell from the photographs. Also the engine bay detailing is poor.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I might be missing something, but, the Alpine that started this thread is a 1963 Series II. The example (same car) you are providing is a 1966 Series V. Not the same vehicle.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Maybe I'm the one who's missing something.

From the post that tarted this thread:
Sports Car Market reports that a "66 Alpine in # 3- condition sold for $16,500 at the Worldwide Auction in Texas recently.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Wrong car!

I'm with Greggers! Two different cars are being discussed here!

How did it pick up on a Series II?

Last edited:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
The identity of the 66 Alpine was never clear at the beginning of the thread. A Series II was suggested by Sunbby ("pretty sure it was this Alpine:http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...e/1575430.html") as the car.

The fact that the car Greggers is referring to is in Texas does make a strong possibility that his find is the same car but there isn't any clear evidence it is the vehicle. Anyone confused yet? Oh well, the point is probably that, again, someone has a ridiculous dream about the value of their Alpine.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
The original post 11 months ago was about a 66 Alpine in TX. Sunby posted a link to a Hemmings page that probably did show that car of the original post. But today if you click that Hemmings link you will see that the old Hemmings post is gone ( 11 month old!) but a "similar" car is now shown , which is a 63 Alpine.

So I am guessing that the Alpine on e-bay now ( 12 bids up to $3050 as of now) which is the same Alpine listed on the sellers site for $37,000 , is likely the same one from the original post.

We'll see how the e-bay auction goes over next 7-1/2 days! Would be nice if it gets to 15 or 17K, but I doubt it. Heck, it doesn't even have an OD. Not that you'd want to take a $37,000 Alpine on a highway, for goodness sake.

Tom

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Good call Tom. That makes sense and Greggers probably remembers the car from the original post and has the same vehicle. The storyline is still the same. The Alpine is:
(a) viewed as a beautiful gem
(b) an exceptional example of '50 & '60 British sports cars
(c) provides a great sports car ride
(d) has a high fun factor
(e) provides many unique opportunities (as with all cars) for personalization

All of the above are true. However, "market" value is significantly different than the "fantasy" or "sentimental" value for some owners. Good luck to all that want to sell their Alpine but in the end everyone has to accept the reality of the market place.