• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine 1725 Head Abuse

JConstable

Donation Time
A fine example of what past neglect will do to an aluminum head. Even my jaded car oriented neighbors were impressed. My thoughts were that if one is going to have a corroded head you might as well go all the way.:D.

I hope the images work!

John

Attachments

• 23-April-08-2-900.jpg
    23-April-08-2-900.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 23-April-08-4-900.jpg
    23-April-08-4-900.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 122

64beam

Donation Time
The unfortunate result of neglect :( . I hate to see Sunbeam abuse. At least the car is in better hands now. Hopefully not too costly.

Regards, Robin.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
A fine example of what past neglect will do to an aluminum head. Even my jaded car oriented neighbors were impressed. My thoughts were that if one is going to have a corroded head you might as well go all the way.:D.

I hope the images work!

John

Great pics!

Was the damage caused by anti-freeze?

Allan

JConstable

Donation Time
Allan,
Good question, unfortunatly the history of the car is a mystery. Conversations with others suggest that there may have been straight water in the block rather than antifreeze with corrosion inhibitors. This seems reasonable to me given water's chemical properties. Additionally some investigation of the block shows rust rings in the cylinders suggesting that the car was sitting in place for a LONG time. This combined with water appears a likely culprit. Hmm. let see corroded head, rusty cylinders, corroded water pump... i think I have my work cut out for me.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Allan,
Good question, unfortunatly the history of the car is a mystery. Conversations with others suggest that there may have been straight water in the block rather than antifreeze with corrosion inhibitors. This seems reasonable to me given water's chemical properties. Additionally some investigation of the block shows rust rings in the cylinders suggesting that the car was sitting in place for a LONG time. This combined with water appears a likely culprit. Hmm. let see corroded head, rusty cylinders, corroded water pump... i think I have my work cut out for me.

Thanks, I hadn't considered the corrosive properties of plain water on aluminum.

Looking at your pics again, the valves appear to be too far into the head...is that "recession" that is so often discussed... ??

Allan

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks, I hadn't considered the corrosive properties of plain water on aluminum.

Looking at your pics again, the valves appear to be too far into the head...is that "recession" that is so often discussed... ??

Allan

Allan,

No valves are installed. You are seeing down the ports.

HTH,

Chazbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
whats the best corosion proofing in all your opinion

I was using filtered water and regular glycol. i noticed some rusty deposits on removing the head recently for a blown gasket.
i got the water from one of those water dispense units like out side of supermarkets. a few years back i worked for a water company and serviced those machines. i went to seminars on water purification processes and learned a lot about it. most of those machines use reverse osmosis witch will take out almost all dissolved solids even arsenic. most water has about 300 to 500 ppm.
those units take it down to 10 to 15 if in good maintenance. But one time when i overheated out in the boonies i had to use regular water to get home sins then i drained and cleaned but I am worried about corrosion and preventative maintenance so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
also any advice on what to do about the recurring problem of the head gasket right near the water openings seems to burn through. i have upgraded the gasket but that area right near that area seems so thin. what can be done about it if anything.
Thanks guys
Chaz

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don't know about its affects on aluminum, but deionized water (what most of the grocery store filters produce) is aggressive. That's why water is usually full of minerals. Maybe the antifreeze neutralizes it.

Bill