• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alloy valve covers

jimfai

Donation Time
i talked with a UK engine builder that uses the 2.8 cologne motors. he is having a new batch of rocker covers made, they will be cast aluminum & have a couple raised stripes with a raised FORD V6 logo. he is looking at 180 quid per set, about $250, should be about $50 a set for shipping. maybe could get a better price on a group buy of 6 or more sets if anyone is interested? he said they will be ready in about 3 months.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I have a set of the Capri covers but they only have a filler/breather hole on one side. Will these have holes on both sides for a breather or do I only need one on one side?

WildBill

Donation Time
Yes, I would be interested in seeing a set of covers first - and then might buy a couple sets too!

Thanks,
William Ramsey

WildBill

Donation Time
Like these?

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?...iew=thumbs&ck=

Mike,

Those are available in the UK and Germany, seen them many times on UK ebay and Germany's ebay. I have a set of these.

I was hoping for something like these - I also have a set of these but I know a lot of Capri guys would really dig having a set.

Bild2_400.jpg

William Ramsey
1974 2800 5 Speed (Capri)
1973 2600 4 Speed (Capri)
---------------------------------------

WildBill

Donation Time
They do sell them, I have emailed them last year and they want a little more than $500 for a set of valve covers after conversion rate and shipping.

I thought that was a little steep and found a pair on ebay Germany and got them for $400 used including shipping. They are pretty nice, but obviously half of Germany thinks so too!

I was hoping that this UK builder would be making something like the German cover. Between the Darksiders here and Capri guys on another site you could easily sell at least a dozen sets and that might just bring the price down!?!?!?!?!?

William Ramsey

WildBill

Donation Time
socorob do you know of any other sources for 2.8 performance parts?

"Performance Parts", a little vague. You obviously know that there are very few aftermarket manufacturers creating neat stuff for the Cologne v-6. The problems with some of the items available on Burtons in the UK is that their version of the 2.8 or 2.8i is NOT compatible with the Federal (US) version. So the neat 6 pak (3 two barrel carbs) intake manifold they sell doesnt actually fit on our heads. The other thing to remember is that the UK got the Essex built 3.0 liter v-6 earlier on, and much of there aftermarket stuff is only specific to that engine and doesnt work for the Cologne 2.8.

From what I am seeing on this board you guys are doing just about everything to milk the max out of the 2.8. V6 Jose is also a great asset to this board and anyones search for MORE from the little 2.8. The biggest plus on the 2800 is the head work, get those bigger valves and smooth the passages in the heads, use headers, stick that 2.9 crank in and even old school stroke a little more - with custom pistons you can stroke out to about 3.25 liters. I like to use Svens recommendations on pistons in his book. I know that this book has been labeled as a book written about RACING engines, but the information on Svens choice of custom pistons dimensions and manufacturing is very relevant for the street TODAY - remember that this book was written in 1994 and the information in it is at least 17 years old! So a nice set of forged pistons with lighter pins, better placement of rings and shorter lands and higher compression are a real benefit when trying to lighten the rotating assembly.

Another consideration I would look at seriously is coating pistons. JE pistons, who Sven suggests already has entire lines of pistons that come off the shelf with coatings on the piston skirts to reduce friction. They also offer a thermal barrier for the piston crown to help keep the piston cooler and force more heat out through the exhaust. Likewise, valves get extremely hot, coat the heads of your valves with JE's thermal barrier and reduce the heat transfered into your heads, reduce the heat that destroys your valves and guides, reduce the heat that will be absorbed into your manifold and induction system. Use a plastic spacer between your holly and your Offenhauser and reduce heat transfer into the carb and the fuel.

To maximize my build after my heads are done they will be bench flowed and the numbers from that process will be delivered to a custom cam grinder. Off the shelf cams are ok, but everyones build is different and to get the most out of my build and match my components correctly the cam needs to be ground specifically to my build. I dont want to leave much of anything on the table, short of making the engine unreliable.

Use sythetic oils to lubricate the engine after it has been broken in. There are many small things to do to wring the power out. Sadly, most of them get expensive compared to the power gained. Sythetic oil might gain you 1 hp, coatings on your pistons could net 2-5 hp, the pacer between the carb and intake could bring you 1-2 hp. Stroking to 3.25 liters is going to cost about $2,000 in crank work - is it worth $2k to gain 15% displacement over a 2.8? A custom cam may net another 2-10 hp depending on the build.

Number one in your considerations of all this information should be to ask yourself what this car will be used for? Cruising? Quarter mile drags? Signal to signal racing? Street racing? AutoCross? Number two is how much of this expense can I talk my wife into and how much do I have to hide??????

Rob, if you think you want to stroke let me know, I'll get you the number for Castillo's crank service, think it is in Whittier, La Mirada, La Habra???? They are tops for racing crank work in so cal, they also do some nice work on cranks called knife edging. Mostly used in racing engines.

Hope this helps,
William Ramsey
1974 2800 5 Speed
1973 2600 4 Speed

socorob

Donation Time
Thanks for the info. I'm not ready to do any engine work for a while as mine runs fine. After I get everything else finished then I'll look into building the engine. Asking around it doesn't seem like there's many head guys left around my area. Right now I'm just looking around to see what's available out there. When is your Capri going to be done? Is it a t5?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've had the heads done for my 2.8 with 2.9 valves, ports polished, and extra cooling holes (by JimE). Have the modified 2.9 crank (by Standard Crankshaft). Figure it to be a hair shy of 3.0 liters and estimate 9.2:1 compression, if I figured the CC volume and head gasket thickness correctly. Have the offy intake and Holley 390. Also Jose's headers and plan to go with his specs for a cam regrind. (Delta Camshaft).

WildBill

Donation Time
The 74 2800 is a bone stock example of an original Capri. Original paint, original everything except for he t-9 (European model). I'm leaving that car alone and not touching it. It is too strait to mess with. Its in storage and will remain that way with only about 70,000 miles on it - not bad for 36 years old.

The 73 is getting the works. Stroked 2.8 liter & complete suspension, the resto mod treatment. I probably have 2 years left on it. Long list of upgrades and changes. Will be a hoot to drive.

William Ramsey
1973 2600 4 Speed (Capri - Frankenstein)
-------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the info. I'm not ready to do any engine work for a while as mine runs fine. After I get everything else finished then I'll look into building the engine. Asking around it doesn't seem like there's many head guys left around my area. Right now I'm just looking around to see what's available out there. When is your Capri going to be done? Is it a t5?

jimfai

Donation Time
sorry i had not seen that my post had some discussion on it. i had talked to the folks at burtonpower in the uk, the referred me to ric wood racing, ric gave me the quote, i am not the best with the pictures but try this link

http://www.ricwood.com/race_engines.html

you will get a scroll of his engines and 7 or 8 into it is a v6 2.8 with blue/purple valve covers that say FORD V6 on them. this is what he is making for the price he quoted me, he said for sure a discount if we buy 3 or more sets.

jimfai

Donation Time
i talked to ric a couple times, he is having a batch made for the cologne motor sold in capris, he told me that picture is what they will look like.

WildBill

Donation Time
Did I miss how much he was charging for a set??? Shoot, I might buy 3 sets myself if they are reasonable!

5.jpg

Thanks,
William Ramsey

this is what he is making for the price he quoted me, he said for sure a discount if we buy 3 or more sets.

jimfai

Donation Time
he quoted me 180 gbp per set, or about $250 plus shipping, said 3 months and that was about a month ago, he is going to get back to me when he has them.

socorob

Donation Time
Weren't the euro cologne heads different than the us spec cologne heads? I would make sure they are interchangeable before spending so much money. I though the euro colgne heads only had 2 exhaust ports?