• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

All you need for a V6 conversion

Jim E

Donation Time
Wow! anyone close enough to pick this up should bid, the MII required parts sell for hundreds of dollars

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
You can leave the transmission and keep from the bellhousing forward. If someone is contemplating doing the conversion, this would be a great buy. You could ship it almost anywhere and stil come out ahead. Just have the exhaust manifolds and smog pump removed, so that it won't weigh as much. If the engine hasn't been rebuilt, which looks doubtful because the rocker covers don't appear to be the stock color, it would be the find of the century.

The bellhousing alone would set you back about $200, so getting the whole shootin match for less than $100, would be a score.

Jose

wipeout

Donation Time
Drat....tried bidding on it...but the blasted Ebay won't let me register....lol...it says that my city doesnt match the state....silly poofs.

:cool:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Did you list your city the same as your mailing address or some crossroads burg that you happen to live in?

Bill

wipeout

Donation Time
never mind....I had to close out and go to the Home page...bid is in. Now...if I can just find an S3 for the same price...;)

wipeout

Donation Time
just a question...you say NOT to get the tranny? I know it's a four speed and a basket case...but is it not worth the freight?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Wipeout,

The four speed has a couple of problems you really don't want to deal with. First, it has only four speeds and a fifth gear is better for freeway cruising. Second, the four speed has a very low first gear, and second is close to it, with a pretty big jump to third. The four speed was used to get the heavy Mustang II off of the mark with some reasonable kind of acceleration, so the gear ratios are tilted toward that. Third, the gear shift lever is about another 2"/2.5" farther back, putting it in an uncomfortable position for shifting.

In the case of this transmission, it is all in pieces and will cost about what a good five speed would cost, just to put it back together. You save yourself money in not having to ship it too.

I had to put my first V6 Alpine together (in 1975) with the Mustang II four speed, but that was because at the time, there were no T5 five speed transmissions available.

Jose

wipeout

Donation Time
thank you for the reply....there is still nine days left on the bid...and I can rebuild this one (if I get it) while I wait for that S3 to pop up. I was talking to a chap about this one

http://atlanta.en.craigslist.org/cto/1164676779.html

but I asked for pictures of rust on the car and the passenger pan is rusted out, the trunk is toast and Im afraid that after the media blasting I'll have a mess on my hands.

I really want to get going with this...but it's the same old song..." the kids need braces " ... " the retirement fund is now the grocery fund " ... well...I keep sending emails to my Fairy Alpine Mother but she must be shaving her legs, because nothing has appeared in the garage as of yet.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Another popular part of the Ford 2.8/T-5 conversion is a narrowed Ford 8". And one from the MII has the same bolt pattern. Parts and disk conversion kits are available. But on the other hand, you will find on this forum that a properly prepared Alpine rear will handle the V6 if not severely abused.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Correct me if I'm wrong but another reason to avoid that trans is (I think) it's a side loader. I know the Capri was. Mine was always loose and it was a pain to get it into gear most of the time. One of the happiest days of my (Alpine) life was watching my neighbor hauling that old 4 speed trans away...

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

The Mustang II four speed looks almost like the T5 that superceded it. You have to know the two to tell the difference. The four speed is just a bit smaller without the hump in the tail housing for reverse gear on the five speed.

The Capri box was made from cast steel, with external shifting rods. The Mustang II four speed has internal shifting rods, just like the T5 five speed does. The Mustang II four speed has an aluminum case and tail housing. There is no way you could confuse the two.

Jose

Correct me if I'm wrong but another reason to avoid that trans is (I think) it's a side loader. I know the Capri was. Mine was always loose and it was a pain to get it into gear most of the time. One of the happiest days of my (Alpine) life was watching my neighbor hauling that old 4 speed trans away...

tonythetiger

Donation Time
have a S3 Wipeout

Wipeout- are you still looking for a S3 to put a V6 in. I have a car that appears to have no rust. I was planning on selling w/ a rusty Tiger as a donor car. I would consider selling either or both.PM me if your interested- I posted here since I dont know how to PM you.
tonythetiger

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I don´t think this engine is from a Capri, not that it matters, because it is still a 2.8 V6, but there are several things about the engine and what the seller says, that just don´t jive. The alternator bracket and alternator, look like the one on the Mustang II. The Capri came with a Bosch unit, if I remember correctly, but the bracket is definitely one for a Mustang II. The Capri´s had the alternator on the driver´s side.

The thing that kind of settles it for me, is that he says he took the four speed to a transmission shop to see if he could use some parts from it to put into his Mustang Cobra V8 transmission. The Capri transmission, at least the ones I´m familiar with, aren´t even close in appearance to the Mustang II four speed.

I suppose I could be looking at a very special Capri 2.8 V6, but I don´t think so. Maybe because it is a very late Capri, but that would be the only possibility. The Capri´s were assembled in Germany, so I doubt that it would have a Mustang II type engine installed.

Does anyone else think the same as I do?

Jose

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jose: This isn't the same engine we were talking about a few days ago. that one was near me in St. Louis and came from a seller who said he wasn't sure what car it came from but thought it was a 2.8. This engine, which is in Pennsylvania, is clearly indicated as being from a MII. Of course, the seller could be wrong or lying.