• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alger sold on eBay

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
And a fairly rare color code of Black (#1). Why paint it Chevy orange when it would look awesome in black (and be correct too)?

pdq67

Donation Time
Looked like a fair deal to me. Who cares about the paint. A perfect black paint job would result in a trailer queen. This car would be a great driver and with all of the flaws in that paint job, you wouldn't even have to worry about parking in the South 40 at the mall. Besides, at 70 mph, the flaws disappear.
V8 Alpine, Tiger clone, Alger. Again, who cares. Way too many people worry about "Original". The cars are as much fun to drive today as they were 40 years ago and there is no such thing as too much horsepower.

There used to be about three or four Tigers in the Tidewater Virginia area that would convoy to various events with a lone Alpine. The Alpine owner would hold his own most of the time but confessed that he needed an "I could have had a V8" bumper sticker.

It's going to be in the low 70s here today. I think I'll go for a ride.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
For that price it is a good deal.So it needs paint.If I was wanting I would have bid on it even with the hassle of getting it here.

I think maybe 2 months till we can go for a drive.16 F and 4 inches of snow this AM.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
This car has some serious identity issues. Not sure if anyone else noticed that this is actually a Series IV with a Series V VIN that's badged as a Tiger. I'm not a purist but I would at least want a VIN that could match the body.

But maybe I'm alone in my thinkin'?

Mark

RootesRacer

Donation Time
This car has some serious identity issues. Not sure if anyone else noticed that this is actually a Series IV with a Series V VIN that's badged as a Tiger. I'm not a purist but I would at least want a VIN that could match the body.

But maybe I'm alone in my thinkin'?

Mark

Why do you believe its an SIV?

S

Steve Kirk

Looking at the pictures this car still has the round doors and metal hood storage covers used on the aerlier series 4 cars.

I believe the SAL number is the original and that only the data tag was changed.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Besides the 2 dead giveaways that Steve picked up on, the Series V didn't have the lettering on the strip between the bonnet and upper grille finisher. There are other differences between the IV & V but the pics aren't revealing enough.

Mark

pdq67

Donation Time
Instead of calling them Algers, I think Series 8 Alpine would work.

Again, driving this car at speed should eliminate any identity concerns.

One of the great things about the V8 (And V6) cars is the torque. I used to have a MKII Tiger and a MK1A with a worked-over 302. My wife could care less about the Hot Rod status of the MK1A. The thing she liked most about the MK1A was that she didn't have to shift unless she wanted to. If she had a brain fart and forgot to shift out of third at a light, she could still beat most cars away from the light.

Every Sunbeam (Even the Arrow sedan I owned for a while) is a unique driving experience. Pedigree means nothing when you are behind the wheel. Whenever we are going for more than a short drive, I ask my wife if she is ready for an adventure.

One of the greatest Sunbeams I ever saw was Tiger Tom's Roto Rooter. Talk about an identity crisis. A way cool identity crisis.

J

jhtrevey

Orange Alger - I'm the Buyer

OK - I'm the guy. Not all that sophisticated when it comes to Sunbeams, but do enjoy tinkering with old cars. THis seemed like a good deal to me and my wife, who prefers the automatic.
Questions:
1) Do you really believe that it's had its data tag replaced? Or are there any "transition cars" that would share parts from both a Series IV and Series V? If not, is that a problem?
2) What number indicates that it was originally black? What else can be gleaned from the ID numbers?
3) What would be the first things to do to it? (Yes, I plan to change all the fluids) It runs a little hot, does not leak fluids, and lunges to the right when I apply the brakes.

Thanks!
John in Austin

J

jhtrevey

Oops.

OK. I figured out where to find the color code. It can only get better from here on out...

oldflotsam

Donation Time
The first thing to check on the brakes are the flexible lines.They can cause strange things to happen to the brakes.

Wayne

alpine_64

Donation Time
john,

congratualtions on the purchase, as for the body, it probably has been retagged. There were SIVa cars, they had the square cornered bonnet and doors and a round boot, but this does nto fit those. ultimately the things you should worry about are:

how straight and rust free it is, how it drives and how much fun you will have in it. Y ou didnt buy it as an original tiger.. so originality doesnt matter. What you should do is check all lines and hoses, check for leaks.. and enjoy.