• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alger at Mecom

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Water cooler talk, Scuttlebutt is

I guess if you price out a new build of a similar vehicle you might end up paying that much to duplicate the car. Like a box of chocolates, you never know what ......... in a auction.
That two bidders were in a war to acquire the beast , as the rumor goes both had a prosthetic leg.:cool:

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan,

At the Mecum Musclecars & More auction in Anaheim, an Alger with a C4 automatic sold for $50,000. I happened to be watching it on Velocity.

You actually discussed the car here:
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20820

My favorite part is that it recently sold on ebay for $25k and was almost immediately flipped at Mecum for $50k. Somebody out there is a genius.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Dan,

At the Mecum Musclecars & More auction in Anaheim, an Alger with a C4 automatic sold for $50,000. I happened to be watching it on Velocity.

You actually discussed the car here:
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20820

My favorite part is that it recently sold on ebay for $25k and was almost immediately flipped at Mecum for $50k. Somebody out there is a genius.

the alternative option is the reverse :D

I did think it was a very nicely converted car.. and very honest... but if the auction result is legit.. it shows how in a live auction people can get swept away with excitement.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
"Alpine body and Tiger parts". Doesn't that describe about 75% of the Tigers?
Glad to see that an honest guy made a few bucks.

Bill

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
W n R

In miss spell land means wreck and replace,.

I wold guess differently at 25% and most Tigers have had one corner done or a boot lid.

The honest guy was the builder he kept the car flipper honest by painting him into a corner, and not cobbling on a bunch of Tiger specific items.

A friend is looking to buy a Tiger from a car flipper type and he said he thought this guy was being truthful. I told him time to come home from the Central California wine tour and sober up.

pcmenten

Donation Time
Bill, I think you make a good point. After all, what is a Tiger but an Alpine with some modifications. Heck, the Tiger engine was no big deal. Shelby wouldn't put the HiPo 289 in one because he was selling the Cobras with that engine and didn't want the competition. So, Tigers got vanilla 260s and 289s.

People make too much out of 'originality'. I'll take a well done Alpine conversion any day. I even like the 'Faux Tiger' Alpine with the aluminum V8. Nice choice. Wonder why Shelby didn't use it.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bill, I think you make a good point. After all, what is a Tiger but an Alpine with some modifications. Heck, the Tiger engine was no big deal. Shelby wouldn't put the HiPo 289 in one because he was selling the Cobras with that engine and didn't want the competition. So, Tigers got vanilla 260s and 289s.

People make too much out of 'originality'. I'll take a well done Alpine conversion any day. I even like the 'Faux Tiger' Alpine with the aluminum V8. Nice choice. Wonder why Shelby didn't use it.

Shelby didn't choose what engines went in the Tiger road cars, Rootes did. They were never going to be a competitor for the cobra.. the mustang perhaps.. but rootes convinced ford they were after a different market to them as well.

The Tiger was never destined to have more than the cooking spec motor in it, as they were building it as a proper GT.. relaxed, comfortable torquey car... not drag strip/track racer. Stateside Ian Garrad had more sporting ideas.. hence the development of the LAT options and USA racing program.

A stock Tiger with a HiPo 289 would not have been acceptable.. it would have needed better cooling and better brakes.. and that would have raised the cost.. which wasn't going to happen.

The only time Shelby intervened in blunting the Tiger was the '64 LeMans cars where they ran 260's built by Shelby and they were untested and blew up. They could have had 289's as they were in the prototype class.. the theory being the car was to be sold with a 260 so run it as such...
put the detuned engine in to stop it from competing

Jim E

Donation Time
Then maybe too since the 260 was pretty much going away the Tiger was an outlet for what was laying around..