• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alan Weller at Mosport

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Great news! Alan Weller was able to put the old Dennis Coad Alpine back on the track.

Alan1.jpg

Alan2.jpg

Alan3.jpg

coadsm.jpg

This was the Canadian Alpine which Rootes Canada, LTD supported for a number of years.
In Canada there were two very well known Alpine racers Eppie Wietz and Dennis Coad. Both had great success with the Alpines. I believe this car's setup is written up in McGovern's book.

It really is exciting to see this car back on the track.

Steve

alpine_64

Donation Time
Interestig to note in the period pics the car has the SIV-V grill, yet the early round (SI-3) indicator lights. It also has an odd scoop at the front of the bonnet.. and what looks like brake ducts in the front valence... was this like the early US cars thats got hybridised when the SIVs came out?

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
By 1964/5 there were a number of older Alpines racing that were "converted" to Series IV/V visual specifications. The tails were clipped and the grilles were changed.

Off hand there were a few:

Dennis Coad's car
Bob Richman's SII (the one raced by Davy Jordan/Jim Adams/Steve Froines)
The last Ken Miles Alpine

I am sure there were more but Alan's car is a great addition to the history of Rootes racing.

Steve

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Technically Carl thought he had this particular race car. It was a bit of confusion since the car that Don Stephan had found, which was eventually bought by Carl, had "chopped" fins as described in McGoven's book.

Steve

alpine_64

Donation Time
Its interesting that people converted the early cars to a later spec.. in some ways they would have been better to hybrid the early parts onto a later car (if rules alowed)

I know they would have spent time setting the early car up.. and in theory the early cars front end might be better for racing (kingpin front end) but the later cars rear setup would have been better, telescopics with a longer throw and in the case of a SI they had narrower rear springs so later would be better.

64beam

Donation Time
It seems that the modified bonnet and front valance didn't make it to today. Were the holes in the valance for additional brake cooling?

Regards, Robin.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
No, the bonnet and valance changes didn't carry through to present.

However, the car raced for so long that I suspect an accident might have resulted in the replacement. I know the Sports Car Forum Alpine has had one if not more valances.

There is also the possiblity rules didn't allow the changes as it continued to race through the years. I know it wouldn't have been accepted in the SCCA production class prior to 67.

Steve

billssocc

Donation Time
Al and I are good friends, as a result, I've seen this car and the original
"14" Alpine of Eppie's many times.
This car started life as a SII Alpine and was altered to at least ape the
series changes that came along.
The 3-piece metal soft top covers are tacked in place and are of
SI/SII vintage. The bulkhead and many other indicators also point to this.
I turned up a small series of factory photos for Al which were taken
with Rosey Smith at The Rootes head office in Toronto, Canada,
one of which is shown in this thread.
That one in the shot and Al's white one are the same bear.

Rgd's, Bill