• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Air Force Guys

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Not me but the radar site I was stationed at above Duluth, MN in the mid 70's shared radar data along with other sites along the northern tier of the USA for sites like that. The Cold War was in full bloom then. Speaking of cold-one winter in MN was enough for me to request "anywhere there is no snow" when it was time for my next duty station which led to my assignment to South Carolina and mild winters! Eric

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I was a civilian working on Eielson AFB near Fairbanks, Alaska, from 1956-1967. Now that did get cold!

Not me but the radar site I was stationed at above Duluth, MN in the mid 70's shared radar data along with other sites along the northern tier of the USA for sites like that. The Cold War was in full bloom then. Speaking of cold-one winter in MN was enough for me to request "anywhere there is no snow" when it was time for my next duty station which led to my assignment to South Carolina and mild winters! Eric

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I arrived in Minot June 1968 after a pleasant time in SEA.

SAC was the Command and we had B52's among other aircraft of various sorts.

Key to the North American Defense was the Minuteman Missiles strung out across the northern tier border with Canada.

Lots of stuff went on during those 4 years I was there. First winter an extra heavy snow then and early extreme warm spring caused the "Little Mouse" river to over flow it's banks.... flooding along the valley wherein Minot lay.

Part of my duty at that time was NCOIC of the Supply portion of the Civil Engineering Squadron.

And part of their (my Squadron's) responsibility was flood control.... Never knew there were so many sand bags in the world. We also had to furnish sand to fill them.... That time of the year most sand was still frozen, so we had to provide heaters.

Look up "the little mouse that roared"!

Enjoyed meeting the "NoDaks", a great bunch of people!

We lived on a Cul-de-sac 5-1 Polar Place (most appropriate name). The snow would fall, the wind would blow and the doors would become blocked, crawl out a window, dug out the front door.

A friend had been there for four years and was retiring, heading south.... said he was going to hang a snow shovel on the front of his truck and wait until someone asked what it was before he stopped driving south. He also, was keenly watching to see when someone was going to ask what the electrical plug was doing hanging out from in front of the radiator. Of course you know what a tank heater is! Don't you Eric?

Then off to Anchorage, Alaska for five years!

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
I got sent TDY to Minot from Barksdale (Shreveport La)to help clear runways the winter of '77. The snow was so deep that they had quit even trying to shovel out first floor doorways. Coming from the south, most of us didn't even have liners for our field jackets. The whole bunch of us about froze before they could round up enough liners or parkas to go around.

I thought all the vehicles lined up and plugged in was the funniest thing I'd ever seen. It put me in the mind of an old west movie with all the horses tied to the hitching rail.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tied to the hitch'in rails reminds me of the jokes we used to play of each other at times (when we knew work days were off).... disconnect the tank heaters.;)

Lots of parking spaces usually had connections, always fought for them or came early for them.

It was especially funny when you would see a guy driving down the street with his extension cord dragging out the back under his vehicle.

Lots of the never made it very far..... funny! of course until it happened to you:eek:

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Similar scene at Eielson AFB in Alaska. The big challenge was to find an electrical connection that actually worked!

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
Not a reply to your question but a memory of winter 1954/55 while stationed at fort Churchill on Hudson bay northern Canada. Ostensibly to stop the Russians from coming into the Americas over the North Pole.
Our 6x6 multi fuel GMC transport trucks were reluctant to start at very low temperature so Canadian military solution? Leave them run 24/7.
And we could hear them 24/7, rumbling away, but you couldn't see them because the vehicle pool was obscured by a cloud of fog of their own making!
In those days Churchill was considered the polar bear capital of the world.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Running 24/7 was a method to keep from having our vehicles not start while I had a short time on the South Pole (Operation Deep Freeze) Oct- Dec '63.

DanR