• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Air filter element tip.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Tiger owners,

Most of you will already be aware that K&N make a standard size aftermarket filter element (E-2859) for the stock air cleaner assembly. Until recently, I didn't realize that K&N made higher profile air filters in the same size up to 3in (76mm). The part numbers are as follows, E-2859 (1.5in), E-3710 (2in), E-3717 (2.5in), E-3720 (2.75in) and E-3723 (3in). I recently picked up a bargain on a brand new 2in version, so I thought I would share the information to those that may not know. I also found that I may have been able to go to a higher element, but the extra .5in will certainly help with the air flow into the carby. Hopefully, this will help others as well.

Kind Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
How high can you go with the stock filter housing? More air would be great for mileage and prformance.:cool:

Hi George,

When I had my stock setup (2 barrel carby), I had the aftermarket aluminium 'Tiger' air cleaner assembly which had a 2" element in it with clearance (not sure exactly how much). My current 4 barrel setup with low-rise manifold and edelbrock carby with the stock Tiger air cleaner assembly, with the 2" element installed still has at least another .5 to .75" without touching the bonnet (hood). I am running a thin aluminium spacer between the manifold and carby. I think I could easily get away with a 2.5" element.

Regards, Robin.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for the input, I have a 4 barrel carb setup on my car and a stock air filter houseing. I will try some measuring and see if I can get a 3 inch on it the extra air would be great. Later

atman

Donation Time
Hi George/Robin

Have been talking to a mechanic and he mentioned a modified air filter that would fit the tiger, he wasn't sue of the make but it appeared the same as my oval air filter except that the top cover had been replaced with a filter ie the filter was not only around the side but the top as well. which i would think increase are flow. Robin ,i am trying to track one down so may have one by the nationals

Cheers
Allan

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi George/Robin

Have been talking to a mechanic and he mentioned a modified air filter that would fit the tiger, he wasn't sue of the make but it appeared the same as my oval air filter except that the top cover had been replaced with a filter ie the filter was not only around the side but the top as well. which i would think increase are flow. Robin ,i am trying to track one down so may have one by the nationals

Cheers
Allan

I have seent hose.. K&N do one called an x-treem top filter.. but theirs are round. The ones with the oval shape are not the saem dimensins as the stock tiger one.. so you will need the after market base too.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
A filter element on top of the air cleaner may look nice with the hood up, but think about what happens when the hood is closed.

alpine_64

Donation Time
this is the top filter:

3.JPG

4.JPG