• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

After 18 Months!

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
After 18 months at the body/paint shop my Tiger is back home. Now the fun begins. I installed a new grommet/plug kit from SS and will begin the process of installing the EZ Wiring kit next. There are several photos of the car at the following site: http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/palmjeld/1966 Tiger/

More to follow.

66Tiger015.jpg

Callasports

Donation Time
It looks fantastic! I would imagine that an 18 month absence is a long time to wait for its return. Please keep adding pics as you begin the rebuilding process. I'd like to see the new grommets and plug kit. I recently purchased an Alpine that has usable original paint but could stand all new gaskets and grommets when I get to that stage. Good luck with a great looking Tiger!

agmason

Donation Time
"begin the process of installing the EZ Wiring kit next"

I'm curious why you wouldn't install a original type wiring harness? You can get them from the various vendors for less than $400. Unless you are going for a "resto" mod with lots of extra electrical accessories than the EZ would be best.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
"begin the process of installing the EZ Wiring kit next"

I'm curious why you wouldn't install a original type wiring harness? You can get them from the various vendors for less than $400. Unless you are going for a "resto" mod with lots of extra electrical accessories than the EZ would be best.

You have a problem with saving $250 and actually fusing each circuit?

Bill

agmason

Donation Time
"You have a problem with saving $250 and actually fusing each circuit?"

I have no problem. Obviously, its your car and do as you please. You seem to be a mite defensive.

agmason

Donation Time
"It isn't my car."

My mistake was assuming you were defending a decision on your car and didn't read the author's name. What is he, your best friend or significant other?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
"It isn't my car."

My mistake was assuming you were defending a decision on your car and didn't read the author's name. What is he, your best friend or significant other?

He is my significant other. Why would you care? Does it change anything?

The truth is, there are only two reasons to go with a repro harness: Simple installation and originality. A guy that does not care about either will go with a generic harness. Lower price, better quality (heavier gauge wire and insulation) and individually fused circuits make it the best choice for a car that will hit the road. As you seemed to be oblivious of these advantages, I thought I would take the opportunity to let you know.

Why would anyone need to defend a decision about their car? More importantly, why would anyone question a person's decision about their car? Why would anyone be nosing about, asking personal questions that are pertinent to nothing?

Bill

agmason

Donation Time
"Why would anyone need to defend a decision about their car?"

Defend? Who's attacking? You seem really touchy about someone else's car. As for your personal life, well, we all make choices.

wipeout

Donation Time
Please make an appointment with the SAOCA counselors...they're really good with territorial pissing matches and will, I've heard, throw in a free session on "one ups-menship".

:D

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor

I did not know that my seemingly harmless remark about installing an EZ kit would bring such a series of responses. I apologize for not posting this reply earlier. I have been away from home/computer and just got a chance to read the exchanges.

So, on to the EZ Kit. There are several reasons I chose to go with the EZ kit rather than one of the "stock" repro kits.
1) The original wiring in my Tiger was in poor condition and required replacing. 2) It is more cost effective to go with an EZ Kit than one of the "stock" repro kits. I was able to purchase the EZ kit for just over $100. 3) The EZ provides for much more electrical flexibility if I decide to add additional devices in the future - safety flashers, air conditioning, 3rd brake light, driving lights, sound system, etc. The EZ Kit is pre-wired and has 17 fused circuits, and one circuit breaker. It comes with 2 signal flashers as well as a pre-wired horn relay. The advantages over the "stock" repro kits with their two circuits should be obvious.

Bill Blue was very helpful to me in reaching the decision to use the EZ kit rather than Painless or one of the other kits commonly available. I appreciated his advice and insight with regard to some of the challenges in working with the EZ kit. I had spoken with him a couple of years ago at one of the SAOCA Invasions with regard to using the kit.

64beam

Donation Time
You can't argue with that and I would do the same if I was restoring a car. Protecting a car with two 35Amp fuses with small gauge wire is asking for trouble.

Regards, Robin.

agmason

Donation Time
Paul A, thanks for the reasoned response. Which is what I was asking when I posed the question about the wiring harness Maybe Bill Blew or Blow or whatever is an upstanding and regular guy. His response to my question about "your" car seems to indicate otherwise.

I plan on replacing my wiring harness and wanted to know why one would replace it with something other than a factory harness. In my case, after owning the car since 1994 without electrical problems, I will install a factory original harness. My overall goal is to keep my Tiger as factory original as possible.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Paul A, thanks for the reasoned response. Which is what I was asking when I posed the question about the wiring harness Maybe Bill Blew or Blow or whatever is an upstanding and regular guy. His response to my question about "your" car seems to indicate otherwise.

I plan on replacing my wiring harness and wanted to know why one would replace it with something other than a factory harness. In my case, after owning the car since 1994 without electrical problems, I will install a factory original harness. My overall goal is to keep my Tiger as factory original as possible.

Dude,

There are pros and cons for the factory setup..

Its easy to fault find and know where things are as per the manual, its quite straight forward.. but the 2 fuse system is not the best.. and adding some extra fuses into it is not a bad idea..

My alpine has 6 fuses and i feel it makes it safer.. the tiger has a stock spec repro wiring loom, but at the moment its not carrying extra lights, radio or other bolt ons.. if i do i will look at perhaps trying to isolate a few more things to their own fuse.

ducsingle

Donation Time
Here is the link to EZ Wiring http://www.ezwiring.com/index.html

My kit is the Mini 12. I bought it from an Ebay seller for about $100

Thanks. Is there any reason why you went with that kit over the other kits that use the more conventional sized automotive fuses? For example, is there a space/clearance issue with the other kits, etc.?

It sounds like you spent some time comparing the pros and cons of the EZ Wiring kit to other commercially available (non-stock) alternatives. If so, I would be interested in hearing why you went with the EZ Wiring product.

agmason

Donation Time
"There are pros and cons for the factory setup..

Its easy to fault find and know where things are as per the manual, its quite straight forward.. but the 2 fuse system is not the best.. and adding some extra fuses into it is not a bad idea.."

Alpine,

Believe it or not, I am aware of the limitations of 1960's Rootes engineering. Adding extra fuses can be a good idea along with installing a dual master cylinder brake system, changing lights to brighter ones for visibility,.....etc. One can go on and on improving things.

If you or anyone else wants to add extra fuses, thats cool, its your car do as you please.

I never intended that my question would turn into a debate on wiring and fuses.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
It sounds like you spent some time comparing the pros and cons of the EZ Wiring kit to other commercially available (non-stock) alternatives. If so, I would be interested in hearing why you went with the EZ Wiring product.

1) Good reviews from other people who have used the EZ kit.

2)Price - I found the kit through an Ebay seller and it was very reasonable.

3) The size of the fuse box with mini fuses does not require much space and installs easily under the dash. I am trying to keep the engine compartment as clean and uncluttered as I can.