• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Advice please

Acollin

Donation Time
I recently bought, what I believe is, an outstanding project and as I plan, i would like some advice on how to proceed. Same owner since the early 70s -- not on the road since the early 90s.

The car is a 1966 series V that is very original( still investigating) 54000 miles and as far as I can see is truly almost all there. I am missing a couple of things from a tool kit( still may be able to get them), one headlight bezel and many years ago someone went with a cheap respray of another color. It is a true rust free California black plate with near perfect body panels ( one small ding-- bottom driver's-- a little bit of front valence work).The Mediterranean blue shows through all over the place. The dash pad was crispy and is now gone.

Mechanically, it is now up and running strong and with a little bit of brake work, it should be ready to drive. All electricals appear functioning. Even the seats look great.

I guess I am asking if there is more value here as an original car than simply a fun and endearing project? Would it make sense to wash off the white paint and have it repainted to match all those unpainted patches -- engine compartment -- inside doors--beneath the dash pad, etc.

Thanks in advance for opinions / suggestions. Please ask any questions that might reveal still more information to me.
Andrew

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Andrew

You might want to post pix of your car. Sounds great. Good on you.

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Andrew,
As well as the forums, where you are now, there are quite a few pictures and tech tips under the other sections of this website - along the top menu bar. These sections might give you some inspiration.

I guess it comes down to what you would like to do with the car:
* Shows and cruises - maybe stay original, and do a nice restoration
* Fun blasts on the weekend - looks good from a few feet back and is reliable and drives well. Minimal work to get the fun factor.
* Track days - period racer look, club racing. Great camaraderie, but lots of work to make them competitive.
* Best performance possible - a v6 swap and handling mods, originality be gone!

There are people on this forum to help in any of those areas, and there are enthusiasts that will explain the virtues of their persuasion vigourously!

No matter what direction you choose, welcome, and I hope you enjoy restoring and driving your car. They are fun!

Regards,
Paul.

Acollin

Donation Time
I'm having trouble posting more than one picture at a time. Advise please. I took a bunch yesterday. One at a time seems a bit of a chore-- but here is a taste. I have been cleaning what paint is there by wet sanding-- the only way to get the years of embedded grime out. If the car had a decent respray it might not look so bad after the sanding.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 89

mikephillips

Donation Time
I'd say you'll want to repaint regardless since the color on it now is obviously on it's last legs. But what color depends on what you like and how much you want to put into it.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
What's your Colour Code? I'd going original colour! See Jan for his color chart.

Acollin

Donation Time
Color code is #100-- Mediterranean Blue ----

I began this thread because I read in another thread that factory originality was an issue because of a repaint. I was just wondering how exclusive-- the factory "club"is . Are repaints in factory colors admitted if all other references check out.-- my sense of humor, please --anyone-- do not take offense. Originality with cars is always a pretty good topic of debate. Does a battery, a new soft top, wiper blades , brake shoes, replaced burned out light bulb upset the factory authentic car?

While i know a painting is in order, one would be hard pressed to find body panels as straight as what I see -no filler or rust. I'd show more pictures but can't seem to load more than one at a time. Another reason to begin this thread is to understand value of these cars. I really don't want to be that guy whose classified ad reads " $40,000 invested asking $3000 or BO."

I would like to dial in all the mechanicals first before beginning cosmetics. Do a little drop top driving and really begin understand what I've gotten myself into. I would be overjoyed, at this point, with a simple drive to dmv to do the title work--since I brought the car in from another state, Oregon requires a visual inspection of the vin. I just got some brake parts in the post today.

Be well all

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 45

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I've had my Alpine for over 30 years now, and have been through a lot of changes in the Alpine enthusiast world. It is my view that, yes, there are some people who seem to care about original color. But, at the same time, the Alpine just hasn't seemed to appreciate like, for example the early Porsche world. In the Porsche world, original color does bring in more value. Here, not so much. Though these days, the original paint is what really brings in value.

So, if it were me, I still wouldn't get too worked up about it. I don't think you are going to find all that many buyers who are Alpine concours aficionados when you decide to sell.

Deacon Blues

Donation Time
advice...for what its worth..

Hi Andrew. I have a 67 in pretty good shape that I picked up fairly reasonably. My game plan is to have it functional and reliable and looking pretty good, within a budget. I plan to drive it and enjoy it and keep it maintained. I had thoughts about overspending in a few areas to make it really super cool etc,,but have not yet. Drive your car lots and see if its something you really like before you spend way more than you can hope to get back. If its a long term keeper then do long term stuff. if not, then you wont be hurting if you decide its not really something you can live with. Old Brit cars and old Harleys a headspace thing you either do or don't have.
Dario.

Acollin

Donation Time
Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

In the late 80s, i bought an MGA. Driving it home from the purchase the clutch gave out. I dutifully set it on jack stands and in my spare time worked at pulling the motor to replace the clutch. Pulling the motor required taking apart the interior, removing wooden floors and a host of other invasive stuff as you can imagine. Still really jazzed by my purchase-- with the motor and trans dangling from a hoist, i thought---" I've gone this far, maybe I should take it all apart and do it thoroughly and completely". A good friend who owns a classic car restoration business on the East Coast wisely said " if you take this car apart the way you expect to, you will never drive it again". I think he was correct and I drove the car for over 20 after doing the clutch work and other bits of maintenance and tidying .His words resonate with me today and compliment Deacon Blues wisdom.

I never wanted a car that gave me concern about leaning on a fender or dropping a wrench, but there is something truly engaging about a total and complete restoration. I do wish my paint wasn't as horrible as it is. I am able to bring the white back a bit by wet sanding--- the filth does not wash off and each time i sand, I reveal just a bit more Mediterrainean Blue.

For now, driving ( first to dmv)in this amazing Oregon weather and plugging leaks is all I really need.
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 34

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Factory original etc.

Fixing leaks on any British car is a fact of life. Sort of like the American Harley-Davidson motorcycle. Have never seen one that didn't leak. Leaks are part of the ownership experience.

Do you know why the British do not manufacture computers? Because they haven't figured out how to make them leak oil.

Enjoy your car....as long as you are happy with the way it is that's all that matters.