• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Advice on Removing Exhaust Manifold Bolts

B4Regs

Donation Time
A couple of years ago I put headers on the 2.8 in my BII. I'd heard getting the exhaust manifold bolts out of the 2.8 without breaking can be a problem so I took it to a professional mechanic instead of tackling the job myself. As it turns out, he had a couple break on him anyway and he had to re-drill the heads. It did turn out OK (no leaks, etc).

Now I'd like to put some headers on the 2.8 in my car. Since the pro mechanic had some of the bolts break on him, I figure I might as well try it myself. If I mess it up I'll just have to load it on the trailer and haul it in.

Any advice on the best chances of getting the exhaust manifold bolts out without breaking? For example, should I warm-up the engine first or try them with the engine cold? Should I soak them for a few days with liquid wrench or some other product? With the engine cold, should I heat the manifold around the bolt with a torch? etc.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I know V6 Joe must have done this more than a few times over the years. Thank you. Gary

Jim E

Donation Time
Heat is your friend also the best fitting socket or wrench you can get and a straight pull or push. From working on the V6 cars My money is on pulling the engine if you bust a bolt so you want to be as careful as can be or just pull the lump and start there.

Then depending on the condition of your under hood, try to get them out and any that seem to be broke bound leave. Then break out the gas ax and blow the heads off the stuck bolts, that way you could get the maniflods out of the way and have the remains of the bolt sticking out so you can get heat where the heat needs to go then grab it with a stud exatractor and turn them out. Just a thonght...

B4Regs

Donation Time
Thanks Jim. That makes sense. Kind of frustrating tho that what should be a simple bolt-on can get so involved. I guess the exhaust header bolts are kind of just too small which leads to this breaking-off problem. Gary.