• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Adapting an Oil Seal to the Timing Chain Cover

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Ok, I need a little input here.
Last year the S3 had the tendency to blow oil out the front seal when I was driving her hard at 70 MPH to the Invasion (no OD, a test for the old girl). It was a bit of an eye opener when I opened the bonnet to see the dusting of oil.:eek: Other members had talked about Adapting an Oil Seal and thought I have better check this out before this years run to Invasion VIII.
So, I found these two links on the web:
http://www.teae.org/tech_tips/tips/c1.html
http://www.teae.org/tech_tips/tips/c12.html
I would like to start at this in the next couple of weeks and would like to talk to a forum member who has performed this upgrade to their car.
Please PM me if you find the time.
Best regards,
Andrew Masse

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Mine Too

;)
Take lots of notes and practice till you get it right, then when I bring mine to the Invasion you can mod it for me :D
Money and Time always seems to be the problem, finding a British car mechanic I can trust in Oklahoma since it's a lot or R & R. Remover radiator and remove pulley is a little more then I want to jump into and do. Replace the timing cover after modding it. Heck I just got the heater core replaced and flushed the radiator last fall after the invasion.

Donna
:D

RootesRacer

Donation Time
If your misting the whole engine compartment with oil, the oil seal probably isnt going to help you.

The stock scroll and slinger is successfull in keeping the oil in the motor, where is fails is a small amount of oil that makes it past the scrolls and you get the tell tail drip spots on your driveway, NOT an oil slick or a misted engine bay.

When the motor really leaks, the scrolls or the timing cover lip may be damaged, or more likely yet, your engine has a lot of blow-by and/or your PCV is stuck or not connected.

Ok, I need a little input here.
Last year the S3 had the tendency to blow oil out the front seal when I was driving her hard at 70 MPH to the Invasion (no OD, a test for the old girl). It was a bit of an eye opener when I opened the bonnet to see the dusting of oil.:eek: Other members had talked about Adapting an Oil Seal and thought I have better check this out before this years run to Invasion VIII.
So, I found these two links on the web:
http://www.teae.org/tech_tips/tips/c1.html
http://www.teae.org/tech_tips/tips/c12.html
I would like to start at this in the next couple of weeks and would like to talk to a forum member who has performed this upgrade to their car.
Please PM me if you find the time.
Best regards,
Andrew Masse

Andrew

Donation Time
Misting??? more like a splatter

It looks like the oil is being forced out only when the engine is running hard.
It hits the fan blade and this then splatters the oil onto the underside of the bonnet. I shouldn't say a mist, it is more like a splatter. I will pull things apart and at least take a look at everything. The past owner had things taken apart as the cover and a few other things have bean chrome plated. Could it be that the timing cover what not put on properly? It will take things apart and do an inspection and then provide an update. I just hope that it is not a major problem as the engine seems to run strong with good oil pressure.

Andrew

RootesRacer

Donation Time
It looks like the oil is being forced out only when the engine is running hard.
It hits the fan blade and this then splatters the oil onto the underside of the bonnet. I shouldn't say a mist, it is more like a splatter. I will pull things apart and at least take a look at everything. The past owner had things taken apart as the cover and a few other things have bean chrome plated. Could it be that the timing cover what not put on properly? It will take things apart and do an inspection and then provide an update. I just hope that it is not a major problem as the engine seems to run strong with good oil pressure.

Andrew

You have got a blowby problem, oil pressure is irrelevant here.

I'd check compression, then likely replace rings or pistons and rings.

napa 1

Donation Time
Andrew, I had/have this same issue with my car. A group of concerned board members exhausted all possiblilities with me on the phone including pressure, blowby, blockage etc. Still get the same thing you're describing when the oil is slung onto the inside of the bonnet by the fan, and drips on the driveway. I've just learned to live with it, haven't attempted the mod on the timing cover, although I have all the parts to do it. Andy Devoe (drnobeam) has done one before and was helping me a while back, try contacting him via pm.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Adapting an oil seal to the timing chain cover.

It is essential that the timing chain cover is carefully centralised around the pulley before the bolts are tightened. If this is not done,oil will leak by capillary action. A special tool is available for this, but I wrap a few turns of masking tape around the thrower groove of the pulley (not forgetting to remove it afterwards).

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
You have got a blowby problem, oil pressure is irrelevant here. I'd check compression, then likely replace rings or pistons and rings.
RootesRacer is correct here. I had front cover problem on the Tedder Project race car with exactly the same symptom. You have a crankcase pressure problem and the engine block needs more venting to atmosphere.
On the race car, we made too much impedence on the vent lines by using too small diameter tubing (the crankcase breathers need to be routed into a catch-can to keep oil off the track, if the engine blows)
Jan

Andrew

Donation Time
Blow By

RootesRacer is correct here. I had front cover problem on the Tedder Project race car with exactly the same symptom. You have a crankcase pressure problem and the engine block needs more venting to atmosphere.
On the race car, we made too much impedence on the vent lines by using too small diameter tubing (the crankcase breathers need to be routed into a catch-can to keep oil off the track, if the engine blows)
Jan

Hi Jan,
If I have 160lbs +/- over each cylinder could it be the front seal or is the symptom self explanatory with the loss of oil at high engine speeds? Am I looking at an entire engine re-building? As you can probably note, I am doing a little praying here as I hope join in at the Invasion this year. If a rebuild is on the calendar it may be a lost Invasion year for me.
I need your comments.
Regards,
Andrew

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Andew,
I cannot answer any of those questions, because I would have to inspect your car first. You could very easily remove the front cover and see what's going on in there?
Did you rebuild the engine?
160 lb. sounds healthy to me.
Make sure your breather pipe is open. It could be choked up with dirt & carbon.